Part 5: Healing

"So you never told me how you and Kakashi finally confessed your undying love for each other." Kurenai said as she plopped down on the couch by my feet. "Me neither, I've been meaning to ask." Mikoto said from the other side of me. Kurenai and Mikoto had been the first to visit me when I arrived home. I was surprised by how many gifts and cards had arrived from villagers and shinobi alike thanking me for saving the village and showing their support for me. This also meant there were lots of baked goods and other treats around my house. Mikoto and Kurenai helped themselves to the food and I was munching on a bowl of chocolate covered fruits while we sat around the living room. "Well, it was after I got out of the hospital a couple months ago." I said. 

"Basically he accidentally confessed he had feelings for me in a fit of guilt over my attack. We then admitted that we both have had been in love with each other for years." I said and they both awwed. I couldn't help but join them as my heart fluttered every time I thought of him. I was very glad that Asuma and Guy had shown up a few hours ago inviting him to spend the day training with them and have drinks later, Kurenai had promised to stay with me for the night so he could come back anytime he wanted. He was reluctant but I encouraged him  to go with his friends. Now I'm glad so he's not here to listen to us talk about him. 

"So have you guys..y'know?" Mikoto asked and I felt my cheeks burning as Kurenai and I laughed at the older woman who held her hands up in innocence. "He's a good looking guy, I was just wondering if he is good in bed too." I almost choked I laughed so hard at her defense. When I finally regained control of myself I was wiping my eyes. Ever since my identity has been publicized I had given up my mask. There's no more hiding from the world for me. "Well, there was the night before he came back to the village and I had to stay gone." I said and Kurenai practically fell out of her seat in shock. "You didn't tell me?" She demanded and I shrugged. "I didn't want to write you a letter, I wanted to see your reaction in person." I snickered and Mikoto high fived me. 

"So do you think you'll get married?" Kurenai asked a few hours later. Mikoto had left after grilling me on my sex life and giving me one more thing to think about. "Fugaku has been talking about inviting you to the next meeting of the Clan heads. You are technically the head of the Otsutsuki Clan and therefore have every right to join the meeting. Let me know what you decide. It's next month." I had been pondering it when Kurenai asked me the question that almost made me choke on my popcorn. Kurenai and I have been eating popcorn and watching movies for several hours now. Why does she do this to me? 

"I don't know. We are pretty young." I said after a few moments. "So. Shinobi always get married young. Mikoto was your age when she got married and so were my parents. Clan heads especially marry young so that someone can hold their name." She reminded me and I sighed. "Do you think we are ready for that?" I asked and she shrugged with a smile. "I think you guys have been destined to marry since birth. You two are made for each other, anyone with eyes can see that. I think it's only a matter of time so why waste it?" She asked and I felt myself agreeing with her. "You're a ninja. Not even just that but you are an ANBU captain under command of the Hokage, one of the elite. That alone proves how much danger you are constantly in and with recent events face it now you are in more danger than ever." 

"Really not making me feel good." I reprimanded her and she just rolled her eyes. "Let me finish. If life is so short and fragile why spend any more time than you have too alone." She said and I felt a smile work it's way onto my face. "You're right. But what do I do? Do I just ask him to marry me? Do I drop hint? Get down on one knee?" I asked and she laughed. "In all of the years I've known you I have never seen you so worried about something. You have always marched to the beat of your own drum. You've been independent for 11 years now and you have never been the type to do something lightly. When you do something you pour your whole heart into it. That being said I think you should do what you think is right. I think it's up to you if you wanna get married. You've never followed tradition before and I don't see why you would start now." She said and I nodded letting my thoughts cloud my mind as we returned to our movie.

 Some time in the night I woke to a pain in my limbs. A dull ache that I associated with the still healing fractures. Kurenai was sleeping peacefully on a pallet in the floor beside the couch and directly below me. I could see my medications on the kitchen table through the open kitchen door but I can't stand and Kurenai is passed out. Thankfully Kakashi took that moment to stumble in with Guy and Asuma. All three of them looked rather drunk but more tired than anything. "You guys head up to the guest room, there should be some extra blankets in the closet in there." Kakashi told his friends as I made eye contact with him. "Bring me my medicine please." I said gesturing to the pills on the counter behind him. He gave me an unimpressed look when he realized I had missed my dose by a couple hours. 

He brought me my medicine and a cup of water that I finished and placed on the coffee table that had been pushed to the side so it was almost above my head from my position on the couch. "Do you want me to carry you to bed?" He asked and I nodded. "Yeah. This couch isn't that comfy." I said and he picked me up carefully. We passed the guest bedroom only to see Asuma and Guy fully dressed laying on the still made bed. Kakashi rolled his eyes and shut the door all the way. When we reached the end of the hall he laid me in our bed and began to undress me. I allowed him to dress me in one of his shirts and some underwear. He stripped to his own underwear and crawled in bed beside me. "I love you." He whispered as he drifted off and I grinned. "I love you too, Kashi."