Part 7: Recovery and Clan heads.

The first time I felt the seal weaken after the fight was the day I was allowed to start training again. Kakashi was sent on a mission last night that was expected to take a week or two. This means I don't have a training partner which is a no-no when you are recovering from major injuries. So my first step was to find some training partners. I gingerly got dressed in a black cropped long sleeved shirt with chainmail below it and my basic black ANBU regulation sweats and boots. I pulled my hair up in a large bun with a few senbon in them and took off towards the clan land. 

I basically just went through with a light jog trying to see anyone who would see interested in training with me. I found my answer in an unlikely pair of Uchiha's. Fugaku and his son Itachi who is also my friend Mikoto's son and husband. Itachi was eager to train with me and I had heard he was a prodigy. Plus I was hoping he would be able to help me with my new release abilities. I followed them into their clan where we found a training ground for ourselves. Fugaku had Itachi work on some shurikenjutsu's he turned to me. "Where's Kakashi today? I heard you guys are getting married, I would think he wouldn't leave your side. Especially not after being apart for so long." I just sighed. "Well with the shortage of ninja due to the attack he's been ordered to go on a high profile mission for upwards of a week and I'm stuck at home starting to understand how he felt these past months." I replied and he nodded in sympathy. "Yes, it makes you wonder what could have prevented that." 

"What do you mean?" I asked after a while of thinking about what he said. We were now practicing fire style jutsu which has always been my weakest element. "I've heard some whispers. The council has been speaking about the Nine Tails Attack with the Uchiha name in the same sentence. What a coincidence that a Uchiha attacks the village and tries to kill a fellow shinobi." I understand what hes saying and nod in agreement. It is quite the coincidence. "Have you thought about my offer to be your escort to the Clan head meeting?" I nodded. "I'll be honored to have you as my escort." We managed to perfect my Pheonix Flower Jutsu. Around midday I walked into to town for lunch where I met a very interesting kunoichi. She told me everyone called her H. and she was from the Inoichi clan. After eating together we decided to train together as sensory nins. 

When we arrived at the training ground we were approached by a Naomi Hyuuga. So it made sense for us to all practice our sensory skills together. Both girls intrigued by my dojutsu. "So it's easier to use with my eyes open." I explained. "That's interesting. Your eyes, you said they were a strange green color?" She asked and I nodded. "Let me show you." I said and activated it. "That is very interesting. It's not the byakugan but I bet it works the same way. It has always been taught that if someone was so proficient at byakugan that they would be able see into the very minds of their opponents, see their thoughts and feelings." Naomi said and I nodded. "So you want me to try that?" I asked and she shrugged. "Try doing me?" She asked and I nodded. I looked at Naomi and tried to figure out how to adjust my vision. "When I was young my mother said it was like tuning a microscope. It helps if you imagine a nob and try to twist it. Usually it will stop when you reach the limit of your vision." She explained and I nodded. 

'A knob that I twist' I thought to myself and looked at Naomi even harder. Suddenly I felt the familiar pain shoot through me as the barrier weakened. I winced for just a second before opening my eyes again. I was expecting to be disoriented but instead my vision was clearer than ever. It was like I could control what my eyes choose to focus on the same way I can adjust my grip with my hands. Like working a muscle I never knew was there. Looking back at Naomi I attempted to adjust. First I could see her Chakra points and structure. I could see that she was examining me with her own dojutsu as I looked at her. Then almost instinctively I focused even more.  Suddenly a new image came to mind. It was me, sitting across from her with my chakra sitting behind my eyes as well as my ears and chest even. After a few seconds though my vision blurred and I felt a pain not unlike pulling a muscle radiate through my eyes. I yelped and retreated my abilities into me. 

"Are you okay?" H asked in concern and I opened my watery eyes to see that my vision had turned blurry. "The seal weakened inside me and released my abilities more. For a few seconds I could see myself through Naomi's eyes. Then I don't know what happened. I got this pain, like when you stretch a muscle too far and now my vision is blurry." I closed my eyes, as the blurriness of my vision is starting to make me nauseous. "I see. Well, I think that was probably when I deactivated my Byakugan. It was likely that your eyes tried to compensate but couldn't due to having never been trained properly." Naomi spoke smartly and I nodded. "What you are experiencing now is one of the side effects of overusing your dojutsu. You'll likely be blind for next day or so." She added and I sighed. "Great, my fiance is on a mission, I can barely train physically and now I'm blind." I muttered under my breath. "You should try going to one of the clan heads of the Uchiha or Hyuuga from now on for training. They are likely the only ones who can really help you develop your ability. However we are sensory training today yes?" Naomi asked and I nodded. 

"What better way to train your senses than taking one out of the game." H added and I heard some movement and then someone was tying a fabric around my eyes. "It's a blindfold. Both of us are going to wear them as well. The point is to learn to get around without your vision while strengthening your other senses." Naomi explained and I nodded again. Soon we settled into a meditation position and the three of us focused on our other senses. Soon my senses were as strong as they are with my 'other eye' except I couldn't see anything at all. From then on I had spend my focus on learning to dull the intensity of the new sounds, taste, and smells that were swirling around me. The feeling of my clothes became rather annoying but that was the easiest one to ignore. After a few hours of occasionally giving each other advice we decided to say our goodbyes. "Well, I feel guilty that I pushed you to use your vision so much so I am going to wear my blindfold for the next two days." Naomi said as she helped me up and I sighed.

"You don't have to do that." I stated and there was pause before she laughed. "I shrugged even though neither of us can see it. Think about it this way, at least you won't be the only one stumbling around blind. Actually it will be more strange for me cause I'm a Hyuuga she said and I laughed as well. "I would join you but, I have training with my team in the morning that I need to see for." H said but she did offer to walk H home as we were going to pass the Hyuuga compound on the way to her place and I had to go to the other side of the village before reaching my home so I told them not to worry about it. 

When we arrived at the Hyuuga compound, H suddenly cursed. "Sorry, guys I just remembered I said I would babysit my sister tonight so I have to go!" She said and I heard her take off in the direction of the village. Naomi and I locked arms after a few cautious forward steps. I had a good mental image of what was going on around me due to my increased senses but Naomi seemed to be struggling more than me. "Now it's the blind leading the blind." I said and I heard her giggle. 

"Naomi there you are, did you forget we are eating with your uncle?" I heard a voice ask as we approached where I knew the Hyuuga clan compound opened. "Who is this?" I heard the voice ask again as we approached. With my hearing and my chakra sensitivity at it's max I could sense the general shape and size of a man who is several years older than me, maybe around Mikoto's age. "My name is a little complicated actually." I greeted and I sensed him looking me over. "Father this is-""Otsutsuki Koharu yes. I had difficulty recognizing you without your mask." The man said and I smiled. "Most people call me Asa but, it's a pleasure to meet you, Hizashi?" I guessed and he chuckled a little. "Yes, I am Naomi's guardian as she is my niece." He said and I nodded. 

After explaining our training and the reason we are wearing blindfolds we started to separate. "Your dojutsu is very impressive. I am sure my brother would like to hear about it as well. Why don't you join us for dinner as my guest?" He asked and I shrugged. 'Two clan heads in one day' I thought. 'It's a good practice I suppose for the meetings in a couple weeks.'