one

Lan Wangji had seen death from an early age.

He remembered watching emotionless as his parent's caskets were lowered slowly into the ground. His older brother Lan Xichen trembled beside him as he watched too. Lan Wangji took his hand and squeezed it tightly. He didn't know if he was trying to comfort him or if he was scared that we would disappear into that deep shallow grave as well. He was his only immediate family left, Lan Wangji didn't want to lose him.

That was his only fear his whole life after that; the thought of losing his brother. They basically had to raise themselves after their parents died. Their other family thought it was too much of a hassle to take them in, so they just gave them a place to live, some extra money, and enough funds to get them through school and left it at that. Lan Xichen graduated and ended up getting a well paying job, while Lan Wangji was still floating through college. Not making very many friends, only focused on supporting himself and his brother.

"Why does he always have such a cold look?"

"He seems scary."

"We should stay away from him."

Lan Wangji always heard that kind of gossip about himself and he accepted it. He preferred being alone anyways. Most people annoyed him, he looked at them as a distraction. Why should he spend his time goofing off with them, when he could be working or focusing on his studies?

"If you keep thinking that way, you're going to be alone your whole life." Lan Xichen had told him one night when they talked. "You should make connections with others, it's important."

"Even if I wanted to, they all seem too wary and uncomfortable around me." He muttered back.

"There must be one person who isn't."

There was, but Lan Wangji wasn't very fond of him. His name was Wei Wuxian. Basically a prince of the school because of his good looks and the fact that his father was the director of Jiang Hospital. Everyone admired him. Lan Wangji didn't understand the obsession, but then one day he stood up for him.

"Hey," Someone had tapped his back as he sat in the library reading, "if we anger you, is it true you'll put a curse on us?"

"Lie Jie, stop." His friend snickered behind him.

Lang Wangji gave them an annoyed look.

"Oh no, he's glaring at us. We're going to die in our sleep!" Lie Jie cried.

"Hey!" Someone slammed their hand down on the table and they jumped. "Why are you two causing such a commotion in here, do you want me to get you kicked out? Leave him alone already."

Lan Wangji blinked in surprise when he noticed it was Wei Wuxian. Everyone in the library stopped to watch the commotion, staring at him like he was some sort of hero. The two boys gulped.

"Sorry, we were just joking around." They apologized quickly before leaving.

"Hmph, they're like two little kids." Wei Wuxian chuckled and then glanced at Lan Wangji with a smile. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, thank you." Lan Wangji ignored him and went back to reading his book.

He sat down in front of him. "Can I ask what you're reading?"

He glanced up at him and then looked back down.

"Wow," He pouted. "You're really not going to respond? That's kinda harsh."

He was about to respond when a group of girls came rushing excitedly towards Wei Wuxian. "Wei Ying, do you want to come have steamed buns with us?"