eight

When Lan Wangji awoke the next morning, Wei Wuxian was no longer beside him like last time. Instead he stood staring out the window of the hotel, already dressed in his suit for the wedding. After they'd kissed last night, they drove back to their room in silence and just went to sleep. Lan Wangji had confessed to him out of fear, but it hadn't brought them any closer. He felt like they were farther apart.

Wei Wuxian glanced over at him when he sat up slowly. "Good morning."

"Morning." Lan Wangji couldn't even make eye contact with him.

"I was just about to wake you up. You should get ready, we're gonna leave soon."

"Okay."

It fell quiet again. Lan Wangji wanted to rip the silence away, it was unbearable.

A few minutes later he was in his suit and Wei Wuxian turned to face him. He smiled. "You look nice."

"Thanks." His eyes fell on his tie and he noticed it was crooked. Lan Wangji stepped forward hesitantly and adjusted it. He could feel Wei Wuxian freeze up at his closeness. Their eyes met slowly. Were they really not going to talk about what happened?

Wei Wuxian gave him a tight smile and stepped back. "Are you ready? Let's go."

Lan Wangji felt his heart drop as he walked by him without another word. He stared blankly ahead out at the window. Why did it matter so much to him what happened between them? Why couldn't he just be happy that Lan Xichen was going to get the care he needed because of this date? He took in a shaky breath. It's because when he started this trip with Wei Wuxian, he didn't expect to fall in love with him by the end of it. And now everything was so complicated and confusing.

He turned away slowly and went to retrieve his suitcase. He just had to deal with it like all of his other problems. His whole life, he'd had to face his hardships alone. But why was this one the hardest?

Lan Wangji took one last glance at their initials on the wall before they left the room for good. As Wei Wuxian locked the door, he felt like he was letting apart of himself go again. Their time together was really coming to an end.

**

The drive to the wedding was long. They both only exchanged a few words and glances. Everytime Lan Wangji looked at Wei Wuxian, his gaze was dark and distant. It was like he was staring at a stranger.

Lan Wangji cleared his throat, trying to think of something to say. "Are your dad and brother going to meet us there?"

"Yeah." He sounded distracted.

"Okay."

The venue was already crowded once they arrived. Wei Wuxian parked and turned off the car, his hands trembled as he did. Lan Wangji watched him carefully, but he didn't question why he looked so nervous. His mom was getting married to another person, it was new territory for him. His anxiousness made sense.

Once they left the car, they made their way towards the large line leading into the wedding reception. There was a man standing by the entrance, accepting everyone's red invitations. Wei Wuxian handed his to him slowly, his face looked pale. Lan Wangji glanced around curiously at the pretty red roses and decorations that decked the venue as they walked further inside. They made their way towards the back of the hall where a few people stood drinking beverages from the table. Lan Wangji could immediately smell the alcohol.

"Let's have a drink." Wei Wuxian took a glass slowly.

"I really don't think that's a good idea after last time." Lan Wangji insisted.

He thrust it towards him. "It's only a little bit of champagne. I promise it's not as strong as Emperor's Smile. You can't come to a wedding and not drink Lan Zhan."