four

Lan Wangji blinked tiredly over his food the next morning. His side was in pain from Wei Wuxian kicking him all night and even pushing him off the bed at one point. If he knew he was such a restless sleeper, he would've gladly offered to sleep on the floor in the first place.

"You look like you got no sleep last night." Wei Wuxian chuckled at him.

Lan Wangi glared back.

"Wow, now I definitely know why people keep calling you icy; because of your glare."

"Icy?"

"Yeah, you have a reputation around the school you know. For always looking cold and emotionless."

Lan Wangi rolled his eyes. "People always have something to say, sometimes it's better not to listen."

"That's why I was kinda interested in you though, because you don't seem to care what people think." Wei Wuxian took a sip of his coffee slowly. "I wish I was more like that."

"You care about what other people think of you? I don't believe that."

He smirked. "Unfortunately I do."

Lan Wangji watched him quietly.

"What? Are you going to try and cheer me up again?" He leaned forward, giving him a playful look.

"Shut up and eat your food already. We still have a long way to drive."

"Stingy." Wei Wuxian muttered and pulled out his phone. "Anyways, when we're in Nanjing I want to hit up a few bars. I feel like I need a drink. There's one in particular that's selling my favourite, Emperor's Smile."

Lan Wangji took out his wallet to look for money to pay. "What's that?"

"What? You've seriously never heard of it? It's only the best tasting alcohol ever, you have to try it when we get there."

"I don't like alcohol, it's not good for you."

He huffed. "Stop being such a downer already, you're trying some when we get there alright? It'll be fun."

"Whatever."

They finished eating and left the motel afterwards. Lan Wangji immediately drifted off to sleep once Wei Wuxian started driving again and he awoke a while later when the car came to a stop. He looked around in confusion when he noticed Wei Wuxian wasn't beside him anymore. He climbed out slowly and noticed they were stopped by a large flower field that overlooked a large expanse of forest. The view was beautiful. He wasn't surprised to see Wei Wuxian sitting on top of the car, drawing it carefully.

He smiled down at him. "Hey, you should come up here, the view looks even better."

Lan Wangji climbed up beside him and peeked at his drawing. "It looks really good so far."

"Ah thanks, when you told me that my drawings made me look cooler last night it motivated me to do more." Wei Wuxian said bashfully.

Lan Wangji nodded. He felt good that he was able to motivate him. "So how far are we from Nanjing?"

"Not that far, we can head out again as soon as I'm done."

"Okay." His eyes wandered towards the field then and he noticed a small white animal moving through the grass. Lan Wangji perked up. "Bunny?"

Wei Wuxian glanced at him. "What?"

"I think there's a bunny over there."

"You like bunnies? That's cute." He said softly. "I like learning new things about you Lan Zhan, you're interesting."

Lan Wangji wasn't sure how to respond. He didn't think he was that interesting, but it felt nice knowing that someone else thought he was. Especially someone like Wei Wuxian.

They sat silently for a few more minutes and Lan Wangji jumped when he felt something fall into his lap. He looked down and noticed it was a sketch of a rabbit.

"Another picture for your collection." Wei Wuxian grinned.

Lan Wangi gazed at the picture, why was he so happy over it?

"There it is! You smiled a little bit I saw it!" He exclaimed.

"What? No I didn't."

"Yes you did, it was there don't even lie."

"It doesn't count, I have to give a big smile, not a small one." Lan Wangi climbed back off of the car. "Are you done? Let's go."

"You're so unfair." Wei Wuxian huffed and followed behind him. He started the car up again and they pulled out of the field.

"Why do you even want to see me smile so badly anyways." Lan Wangji spoke up after a while.

Wei Wuxian ran a hand through his hair. "Just because I want to see you happy."

He wanted to ask why, but something wouldn't allow him. It was better if the conversation just ended there. He was about to go back to sleep to escape the silence, but the car lurched suddenly. It began sputtering and bouncing and Wei Wuxian quickly turned it off the road into a deserted lot.

"What is going on?" Lan Wangji asked seriously. The car was rumbling and sounded like it was going to die out any second.

"I don't know, it's being weird."

He was about to climb out to inspect when his eye caught the gas meter. The needle was on empty.

"Wei Wuxian." He closed his eyes and pointed at the meter, trying not to lose his patience.

"Oh shit, shit!" Wei Wuxian put his hands on his head. "I think I forgot to fill up before we left your place, I was so distracted I didn't even realize-"

"Are you kidding me right now?"

"I'm sorry-"

Lan Wangji stepped out of the car and pulled out his phone. He was going to call for assistance, but there was no service. He groaned.

"Are you seriously mad? It was an accident." Wei Wuxian insisted.

"How could you cause such a stupid accident?" Lan Wangji snapped back.

"God, you sound just like my dad and brother, can you give me a break-"

The sound of crunching gravel suddenly interrupted them and they froze, turning around slowly to see what it was.

A stray dog stood staring them down with hungry eyes.