five

Wei Wuxian screamed and jumped behind Lan Wangji.

"Get it away!" He shouted.

"Can you calm down? It's just a dog."

"I hate dogs!"

The dog moved forward suddenly and Wei Wuxian quickly ran to the car, shutting himself inside. "Lan Zhan what are you doing? Get in here before it kills you!"

Lan Wangji sighed and watched the dog curiously, for some reason he wasn't threatened by it at all. It trotted closer and licked his hand.

"Fairy! Get back here!" A small voice called suddenly. A young boy ran towards Lan Wangji from the forest near the lot. He grabbed the dog's leash. "Were you trying to steal my dog?"

"What?" Wei Wuxian snapped and climbed back out of the car, but hid behind the door. "Your dog was trying to attack us, we weren't doing anything to it!"

"Fairy wouldn't attack anyone he wasn't threatened by!" The boy shouted back. "He probably saw your ugly face and couldn't handle it."

"Yah! This boy, who does he think he's talking to-"

"Wei Wuxian stop." Lan Wangji glared at him and then looked back at the boy. "We promise we weren't trying to harm your dog. He just happened to come across us because we're kind of stranded right now. Our car ran out of gas and there's no service here to call anyone for help. You must know this area pretty well, is there anyway you can bring us somewhere so we can get our car fixed?"

The boy gave him a suspicious gaze. "My mom told me to never trust strangers, but I do believe what you're saying. And Fairy seems to like you, so you must be pretty reliable. I live close by, if you want, you can come to my house and my mom can help you."

"Thank you, we really appreciate it."

"You better keep that crazy dog on a leash or I'm not going anywhere." Wei Wuxian said seriously as he moved slowly away from the car and hid behind Lan Wangji again.

"My name is Jin Ling by the way." The boy ignored him and they started walking.

"I'm Lan Wangji and this is Wei Wuxian."
They walked for a while but Wei Wuxian was still holding on anxiously to his shoulders. His front was rubbing against his back as well. He was so close to him, it made Lan Wangji's heartbeat pick up a little. "Why are you so afraid of dogs?" He asked him, trying to distract himself.

"I got lost as a child and came across one that tried to chase me, I've been traumatized ever since." He sounded tense.

"Don't worry, I'm sure your boyfriend will protect you if Fairy ever tries to bite. Since you're such a scaredy cat." Jin Ling smirked back at them.

"He's not my boyfriend." Lan Wangji muttered.

"Hey kid, you need to learn how to respect your elders alright?" Wei Wuxian shot back.

Jin Ling stuck his tongue out at him.

A few minutes later they reached his house and Jin Ling ran ahead of them to open the door. Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian stood by the front waiting for him to return. He came back a bit later with his mom. She was a pretty and delicate looking woman, who gave them a polite smile when she saw them.

"It's rare for Jin Ling to disobey me and bring home strangers off the street, so you two must really need help." She spoke softly. "I'm his mom, Yan Li. Come inside, I'll bring you some tea."

"Isn't she beautiful?" Wei Wuxian whispered to Lan Wangji as they followed her into the living room.

Jin Ling kicked his shin. "Stay away from her, she'd never be interested in a pretty boy like you!"