Chapter Seven

When Sam said there was an emergency, Kori thought of the worse things that possibly happened – someone died, had an accident, or anything between that spectrum. She did not expect to be dragged by Sam into a mall, more specifically, the toy section of the department store.

"So, what was the emergency?" Kori asked confused.

Sam rubbed the back of his neck and replied, "I need you to pick a plushy. It's for a girl. She likes plushies. I'm not good at this stuff."

Somehow, all Kori was able to focus at was the fact that it was for a girl. Was it for her girlfriend? Is today their anniversary or something? Why did that thought suddenly prick Kori's heart? It's not like she's looking forward for something deeper than a student-teacher relationship between them. Besides, that's unprofessional anyways. But somehow, she was starting to like him...

Kori shook his head to keep the thoughts away. "That's the emergency??" She asked in disbelief.

"Yeah," Sam answered sheepishly. "We'll also need a cake and some roses."

Another prick on her heart. However, she just obliged to his request and went towards the plush section. It was hard to pick from the rows of stuffed toys. Besides, she didn't know anything about the girl he's about to give it to, so Kori just went to a cliché and generally acceptable romantic plushy she can find. She picked out a cute pink teddy bear hugging a heart. She showed it to Sam, and he seemed to agree, or maybe the guy is just clueless, but they proceeded to the counter.

While walking, Kori passed by a display of husky plushies and her heart melted that she paused for a while to adore them. She held and caressed one and thought, "I'll have one of these soon." Her moment was interrupted by Sam who gestured her to hurry already.

After paying for the teddy bear, they bought a tiny cake and three roses. They head out of the mall and got in a cab.

"To the hospital," Sam instructed the driver.

"Hospital?" Kori thought. "Is her girlfriend sick?"

When they arrived, they got out of the cab and proceeded to the third floor. Kori was carrying the plushy for him.

Sam seemed to know where he's headed, and some of the nurses smiled at him in recognition which only meant he's been here a lot of times before. They finally made a stop in front of a closed door which must be his girl's room. Kori felt like she's going to be an outsider so she handed the bear to Sam and said, "I should go. I don't think I should be in there."

"What? Why? You helped me pick these out. You should come in," Sam said.

"But I don't want her to be feel jealous."

"What do you mean?"

Before Kori could answer, Sam already opened the door. There, lying on the hospital bed, was no girlfriend of Sam. It was a little ginger haired girl, younger than Kisses, with pale skin who beamed at Sam as soon as she saw him coming inside.

"Sam!" the girl exclaimed in happiness.

-------------------

"Happy Birthday Rosella," Sam greeted as he tightly hugged the girl. "Rosella. That explains the rose," Kori thought.

"Aah, wait, you're messing my hair," Rosella complained as she fixed what seemed to be a wig as her hair. Kori was surprised when she saw her, and Rosella, who realized Kori was staring at her, felt embarrassed hid under her covers. "Why did you bring someone here, Sam?" Rosella asked, unfavorable of the situation.