The Pool

-———-

-———-

Eclipse - 20 Years Ago

He follows the sounds of quiet sniffling through the disaster of what is left of a caravan. All the carriages, wagons and a large portion of their supplies are on fire and scattered throughout the open plains. Most of them are trampled into the mud and dirt from the previous chaos.

Only one tent is up and half of it is in tatters barely standing at this point.

That's where the crying is coming from.

As he approaches, he vaguely hears in the far distance a woman crying out a name in search for someone and he ignores it. She shouldn't have lost her child in the chaos leaving her to be found by him.

He steps up to the tent his shoes snapping a small twig under his weight, there is a stifled gasp and the sniffling stops. He slowly reaches down to the slit in the tent and pulls the back revealing a small girl with her knees up against her chest sitting in mud.

She's covered in soot, dirt and a small amount of blood. Some of it her own others from another. Her eyes are wide and teary as she gazes up at the man crouched down before her. Her clothes are torn and there are cuts all over her exposed skin including one across her forehead.

"Hello." He speaks softly his voice as deep as it is smooth and kind.

She blinks up at him confused and he sees her shoulders relax a little as he doesn't look anything like the men that attacked her people. His clothes stood out as he wore all white his skin dark which contrast his outfit and he is well kept compared to the barbarians who did all of this.

She quickly and roughly wiped her tears away with the back of her fist and asks, "Are you going to hurt me?" She sniffs pitifully and he almost rolls his eyes.

"I'm not like them." He really is struggling to keep up the kind façade as he didn't want to be there, but has a responsibility now. He blames her ignorant parents for causing all of this, if they only just accepted her . . . No matter, what's done is done and now she is his to deal with.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." He whispers the last phrase and hold out a gloved hand. Her eyebrows furrowed and after a long moment of hesitation she places her tiny hand in his palm.

"Can I show you something . . . magical?" He murmurs giving her a small smile a mischievous glimmer in his eye and she nods eagerly with wonder filled eyes. He can only imagine what she was thinking at this moment. Thinking that she's not alone with her abilities, but if only she knew who he really was ...

He lifts his other hand and snaps his fingers the sound crisp in the air despite the resistance of his pristine dark grey cloth gloves. Small white sparks flicker on his fingertips and she gasps leaning forward towards the light.