CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

may.

"You better get your feet off me right now—that's one thing I know for certain," Harry says, attempting to squirm to the opposite end of the couch as my feet are rested up on his lap. I laugh as he comes to the realization that he has no where to go and Monty gives him a scolding sort of look.

"If you want these to look good then you need to stop moving," he informs Harry, the brush poised just above his nails as he waits for Harry to settle down before returning to paint his nails once more. Harry had walked downstairs this morning—both of us had it off—to find that Monty was painting my toe nails. Out of sheer curiosity Harry had asked whether Monty would paint his nails as well. Already in the mode, Monty agreed and I told Harry where he could find the various nail polish colors that I've collected over the past few months of biweekly pedicures from Monty. Harry settled on a pastel pink color and Monty happily complied as he painted it down on Harry's fingers.

"Sorry, sorry," Harry apologizes as he stops squirming. I smile victoriously as he stops trying to get me off him.

Harry and Monty both have the day off, but they'll be heading in tonight for a shift on ortho. Monty in particular is really happy to be revisiting his favorite speciality. Harry, though he has transitioned over to ortho with the rest of us, can't stop talking about cardio. Over the course of the past month he really found a surprising place for himself there. I don't think he had intended to like it as much as he did. I also feel a sense of gratification. I just feel good knowing that I was able to help in whatever way I could.

Regardless in having the day off, the three of us are lounging around in our pajamas still. It's still early enough in the morning that I can rationalize lounging about but not too early that I feel stupid for being awake yet. Even in his pajamas, I can't help but notice the familiar string of pearls around Harry's neck. I find it so endearing how hesitant he is to take them off. Around the hospital he's received many compliments on them. Each time he blushes and admits they were a birthday present.

I admire this about him. For as many compliments he's received for them, he's received an equal amount of odd-looks and double takes. It's no secret that toxic masculinity runs rampant around here. There are more people than I would like to admit who hold their noses up as they stare at him in confusion. I hate their judgmental stares, and each time it is Harry who has to talk me down from saying something. Fashion, he reminds me, is fluid. Where as Harry finds feminine articles attractive, that doesn't mean that everyone does and it would be a waste of time to try and change that. I find it admirable that he can take such negativity and roll with it, but he does it with such grace. And, he usually looks good while doing it.

"Can you do my nails, too?" I ask suddenly, looking down at my unpainted nails with a sudden insecurity.

"Nails too?" Monty mocks, his eyebrows raised as he looks at me in confusion. "I don't even know who you are anymore."

"I know, I know."

"But sure." He agrees, finishing up Harry's hands as he agrees to it.

It's a rare occasion for me to ask Monty to paint my fingers. I've never been big on keeping my nails painted. I feel like they chip a lot faster and it's more upkeep than I'm willing to put up with. "Who are you painting your nails for?" Harry asks, not missing a beat as he looks at me with a wicked smile. In a way I think he was happy that I told everyone about my relationship with Will, even if for nothing else other than to tease me publicly about my relationship.

"Oh, shut up," I wave him away. His teasing is hardly out of left field anymore. The taunting words rarely elicit a blush—unless something particularly vulgar is said—and I usually have something to fire right back. This time around I know he's not serious, he just likes to poke some fun at me in the same way I enjoy doing it to him. Our friendship truly has evolved since the moment that we first stepped into this hospital together nearly a year ago.