12. You answer first. - Mike

The hallways after a break are always buzzing

The hallways after a break are always buzzing. People try shoving in an entire week's worth of catch-up before the first period, and today's no exception.

I rub a hand through my messy hair, checking out my reflection in the small square mirror plastered to my locker door. Even if Ari likes it, a haircut is overdue, or I'll fight off a man bun in no time.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Cynthia gabbing with Ellie, and nonchalantly scoot my backpack with my heavy boot, trying to appear busier than I am.

"Dudeski," Luke says, pointing his finger like a gun as he walks up. "How's it hanging?"

Two steps behind him, Ariella hikes the strap of her backpack looped over her shoulder. She peers at the floor before up at me with her bright doe eyes, and my stomach flips.

I nab two books off the top shelf and let them slam to the linoleum before snapping the door shut.

"Morning, angel," I say. Ari widens her eyes, and I send her a wink. "And hi, Ari."

"Here," Luke says, extending a cup. "Caffeinate, mate."

"Thank you!" I pry the cap off and inhale deeply. Notes of chocolate and rich goodness transports me to a morning at Luke's house. "That's my dude looking out for me."

Luke jerks his thumb toward Ariella. "Her idea, actually. Listen," he says, glancing over his shoulder. "Steer clear of Cynthia today. Okay?"

I salute him as he backs away. "No prob, Bob."

Luke retreats through the morning traffic, and Ari rests her head against the locker. She lets out a little yawn punctuated with a sleepy smile. "Good morning."

My heart stutters, and I huff a laugh, bringing the cup to my lips. "Kinda weird, right?" I ask, wrinkling my nose. "Feels wrong."

"What does?"

"Well, for instance," I continue before taking a long sip. Ari waits expectantly, the corners of her mouth turning down in amusement.

Thirty feet away, Luke stands with Ellie, Cynthia, and a few of their other friends, and I avert my eyes from my ex-girlfriend. Arms folded, she glares like she heard I used to kick puppies.

I stoop to zip up my bag and hoist it over my shoulder as I stand. "Like, right now I want to hold you in my arms and give you a little kiss hello."

"Sounds good," Ari replies, toying with the collar of her heavy Sherpa coat. "Maybe later?"

"Walk with me," I suggest, gesturing toward the other end of the building. Unfortunately, we'll pass by Cynthia no matter what.