3. You're my best bud, too. - Ariella.

Spring bleeds into summer

Spring bleeds into summer. Mike and Luke spent their summer floating in our pool with their new girlfriends Cynthia and Ellie.

Ellie's nice, and she's got a decent sense of humor, but Cynthia sucks for obvious reasons. And when Cynthia's around, all three of them annoy the snot out of me, so most of my summer has been spent avoiding my two favorite guys and their mediocre girlfriends. I can't wait for school to start next week.

My brother Nick came home for his last summer before his senior year of college. We binged every made-for-Netflix movie starring Noah Centineo and every other one I could sucker him into watching between his shifts at the Apple Store.

I pout a little more than usual as Nick hugs me goodbye tonight. "I hate that you're leaving. You've been my best bud this summer."

He squeezes tighter. "Be back in a few weeks, okay? I know you don't like their girlfriends, but hang in there."

"Yeah, okay," I grumble. I rise to my tiptoes and kiss Nick's cheek. "Have a good first few weeks at school."

"Text me if you need me, Short Stack," he calls as I hike the stairs.

I take my sweet time getting ready to go to AJ's house; setting my hair in soft waves and applying green and tan eyeshadow, followed by two coats of dark mascara.

Maybe I'll run into Mike and Cynthia on my way out and he'll see my wine-colored halter dress.  Maybe he'll realize he's madly in love with me and abandon her. Maybe he'll accidentally drop her in the pool while rushing toward me. Maybe.

Cynthia's laugh grates on my nerves as I clomp down the stairs with my small duffel slung over my shoulder. I paste on a bright smile and force myself to be nice as I venture outside into the late August sunset. Yeah, I don't like her—but I promised myself not to be rude months ago.

I shield my eyes. "Mom, Dad?"

"Over here, sweetheart."

"Ell's here, so I wanted to say goodnight."

My dad smiles at me over his book from where he and my mom hold hands at the patio table. "Don't you look lovely."

Mom gives me a thumbs up and mouths the word beautiful while continuing her phone conversation.

"Thank you." I smooth my short red dress and cast a friendly smile and wave to the other end of the yard. My brother, Mike, their girlfriends, and a few other friends goof around while swimming in the in-ground pool.

I avert my eyes from staring at shirtless Mike. This is nothing new for me—but why is he so extra gorgeous this summer? He let his hair grow several inches more than usual. A rich tan covers the muscles he's proudly worked on the past few months while training with Luke.

"Do you need AJ's number?" I ask Dad, giving him my attention again.

"No, honey, we've got all that. You've been over there a thousand times. Just call us if you need anything, okay? Kiss," he says, tapping his face.