9. If there's room. - Ariella

Just like in the kitchen the other night, Michael stands so close I can't think; his deep pitch in my ear sets my soul on fire

Just like in the kitchen the other night, Michael stands so close I can't think; his deep pitch in my ear sets my soul on fire. Rough thumbs caress my shoulder blades, and I suck in a breath when he draws them down my waist, over the fabric.

I whisper into the darkness as the voices of people leaving the party drift past us. "Mike, you know I like you, right?"

My name slips off his tongue like a question, and I suck in a breath as his wet mouth grazes the column of my neck. "Yeah?" I breathe out.

"I like you, too."

"Looks like my birthday wish came true."

Mike's hands guide me by the waist to face him. I lightly gasp as the icy wall brushes the skin peeking out of my dress.

His pupils flicker with light from the hallway. "Hmm, but what about this?" He leans closer, wetting his lips.

Holy crow. This is not a drill. Or a dream. Mike's beautiful face floats ahead, his lips parting like a curtain just as Luke calls his name.

Mike grasps my wrist and tugs me into my walk-in closet. "Ignore him," he says in a hushed tone. Chuckling, I cover my mouth and stumble over a pair of shoes while moving deeper into the narrow room.

"Ari, have you kissed somebody before?"

I nod, unable to locate my voice now that he's in my arms, my mouth mere inches from heaven.

"Yeah," I finally croak out.

He leans his forehead on mine. "Are you sure you want to kiss me?"

"If I don't kiss you just once in my life, I'll always wonder."

"Only once?"

"Well—"

Mike cuts me off with his mouth on mine, and I shut right up, except for a soft whimper. I wind my arms around his neck and tilt my head to the side, flattening my tongue against his upper lip.

Now, this is a first kiss. Geez, I've never felt anything like it. Firm and sweet; his lips tasting like mint... This is what it should've been like the other night in the kitchen. Me and Michael exploring what it's like to give in.

Mike pulls back, his eyebrows pinched together. "Blimey."

I huff out a laugh at his choice of words. "Kiss me again," I whisper.

The door to my bedroom creaks open, and light from the hallway spills over the carpet, but I squeeze my eyes shut and cup Michael's neck. He breathes in deep when I match him kiss for kiss in the shadows.

"Huh. Where the heck are they?" Luke's quizzical voice barely reaches my ears as we're plunged into darkness again.

Mike glides his hands up my arms to pin my wrists to the wall. He's warm and solid, and I feel delicate in his embrace. Breakable. Like ice colliding with flames. My heart hammers in anticipation of another stolen moment, and my voice falls thick when I open my mouth.