16. You discovered my secret weakness - Ariella

"Now this is a high school party," I say to Ella, sipping from my blue plastic cup

The lower half of Kavon's house is like a movie scene, where adults in their late twenties pretend they're my age.

Rowdy music thumps through the space accompanied by obnoxious laughter and too-loud conversation, and I have three words saved up if anybody asked me what tonight's party was like. Obnoxious beer pong.

"Yeah," she says, "and I thought AJ overdoes stuff."

"He does." We shrug, chuckling, and I drain the rest of my Diet Coke.

"The man of the hour!" Ella says, holding out an arm for Grayson as he steps into our secluded group of two. "You crushed it tonight."

"Yeah, buddy," I say, holding out my hand for a high five.

Gray grins, hugging Ella and slapping my open palm simultaneously. "Who needs a drink? I need a drink."

"I could use a refresh," I say, raising my cup.

"Got you covered," Michael says from behind us.

I toss my hair and give him my best smile while accepting the drink. "What a gentleman," I say, dumping ice from the first cup so I can stack them.

"Great game tonight, Teller," Michael says, sliding his hand up my lower back. He pauses in the middle and rubs a slow circle with his thumb, and I clench my cup. Everybody's going to find out tonight, and I need to expect the worst and hope for the best.

"It was my good luck charms," Grayson says, pointing between Ella and me. "Oh, and running drills constantly. So much so that I think I dribble while sleeping."

"You definitely talk in your sleep about basketball," I say, huffing a laugh against the plastic as I take a swig.

Mike laughs and pokes his finger against the 24 pasted on my cheek. "Well, the hard work paid off. You were easily the best player out there. Did you play varsity when you were a sophomore? I forget."

"Hang on for a sec?" Gray asks. "I need water—I'm dying."

"Oh, I'll grab it," Mike says. He hands me his cup. "Ella, need anything?"

"Sure, I'd take a water. Thanks, Mike."

Wearing a knowing grin, Ella nudges me as Mike retreats to the kitchen. "Somebody seems keen to hang out."

"Yeah," I say, sweeping hair over my shoulder, "he told me he has a crush on Gray."

Grayson furrows his brow while laughing with us. "Morrison's a nice guy," he says, shrugging.