10. They must think I'm stupid. - Luke

Mom leans her petite frame over the console, her voice a stage whisper

Mom leans her petite frame over the console, her voice a stage whisper. "I'd like a large glass of wine if they keep this debate up."

"Have two if you'd like," Dad says, running his knuckle along her jawline.

Our family squished into the vehicle—me in the third-row seat bench with Nick and SiSi, and Ari and Mike in the individual middle seats. The sweet scent of leftover lattes laced into the air when Dad turned the car on, and Mike immediately got us debating on the way over.

"Cast your vote first, Mom," I say, covering Mike's face with my hand as he opens his mouth with what I'm sure is a smart-ass remark. "I know you agree with me. Your precious middle child."

"As much as I love you, Lucas Christopher, I can't agree with you on this."

Wearing a self-satisfied smirk, Mike turns away from me, saying, "Yup! Yup, yup—

"Knock it off," Ariella interjects. "You're such a gloater."

"Yeah, and you love it."

"Ugh, no way."

Mike winks at her. "You can't fool me, so don't bother." He turns around to me. "And sorry about your mom proving you have poor taste, Lukey."

I scoff. "Prove your theorem."

"You first."

"Exhibit A: they have the same interest in movies, music, and books. That kind of thing."

"Okay, well, your mom and I love every Tom Hanks movie. Does that mean Linney and I are running off together, Lucas?"

"No," my dad interjects, casting a lazy grin over his shoulder.

"That's right, listen to Slim Jim," Mike says, pointing at my dad in the driver's seat. "You think I'm right, right, Jim?"

"That Rory should've chosen Logan?"

"I think you're right," Sierra says, waving a hand. "Team Logan gets my vote."

"Thank you, Sierra. It pleases the court to hear this."

"Eh, I was rooting for my man Dean."

"Objection," Mike says. "Irrelevant."

Gripping the wheel with one hand, Dad lifts my mom's to his lips. "Well, we all know I'm a sucker for a high school sweethearts story."

"Aww!" Sierra starts the swoon and we all join her like a chorus of birds.

"You get used to it," Nick murmurs, pulling Sierra closer to him.