Chapter I: Person Unknown

"I used to be embarrassed because I was just a comic-book writer while other people were building bridges or going on to medical careers. And then I began to realize: entertainment is one of the most important things in people's lives. Without it, they might go off the deep end. I feel that if you're able to entertain people, you're doing a good thing." – Stan Lee

》》》

Chapter I: Person Unknown

The young woman blinked her eyes open to be greeted with the sound of a high pitched beeping and the sight of white walls, white bedsheets... white skin. Sickly pale, accentuated with vibrant blue veins running up her arms like little streams of water. The edges of her fingers were the color of charcoal, swollen and unfeeling. She watched in fascination as it suddenly began to fade away, her fingertips paling to the milky color of the rest of her chilled skin as it healed itself completely. She knew she wasn't like other humans, but there was still so much about herself she had not yet learned. In many ways, it scared her- shook her to her very core.

The girl raised her head and let her deep brown eyes once again wander the room she resided in. There were two doors, one of them being what she assumed could only be a restroom. The other would be her way out, but it seemed she was in a medical facility. Did she really want to leave? Did she want to risk her life by abandoning the needles embedded in her skin that provided the treatment that her body so desperately needed? She was unsure. She couldn't recall where she came from. Her memory was no more than a mere cloud of fog drifting away and dissipating into thin air. Nothing.

Her eyes landed on a large black-tinted window embedded in the wall to her left. The girl suddenly felt as if she were being watched, like a wounded lab rat recovering in its cage as scientists watched her pain. Hospitals don't have tinted windows... Do they? She wondered as a chill ran down her spine like a thin trickle of icy water.

Her mind was swimming in an ocean of questions, all of which she didn't know how to answer. She began to feel as though she were drowning inside, and she took deep breaths, staring around the room for anything that could explain something to her. There were no other windows to see outside, there were no shoes or any other clothes lying around that could have been hers. She gazed down at the hospital gown shielding her body, dirty and tattered. Surely whoever was treating her here would not put her in a filthy gown? Especially when everything else in the room was crisp, white and pristine. This led the young woman to believe she had already been wearing this gown before she had been brought here... But why? And what happened to her that caused her to become so filthy and scratched up?

Her thoughts of complete and utter confusion were cut off when the door to the room was suddenly pushed open and she jumped slightly as a woman entered. This woman's hair reached down to her shoulders in fiery waves and her eyes were a striking shade of blue and green like an ocean. She had a warm, inviting smile on her face as she shut the door behind her and stepped closer to the girl lying in the bed. The girl swallowed, trying to disguise her caution as she shifted slightly under the sheets.

"I'm not going to hurt you," the red-headed woman told the girl softly as she took a seat in the chair at the end of the bed. She rested her suited arms over the back of the chair and met the girl's gaze. "My name is Natasha Romanoff. I'm a part of the team that is nursing you back to health."

The girl sat still, her chapped lips sealed and her charcoal eyes never leaving the redhead. She examined her body language, her clothes, her expression, everything. It was clear the woman was trying to make the younger girl feel comfortable, and she seemed to radiate a certain feeling of pity- empathy, more like. The younger girl's body relaxed slightly when she noticed scars embedded in random parts of her flesh that appeared to be similar to the ones on her own skin.