Chapter II: Mutant

"The only advice anybody can give is if you wanna be a writer, keep writing. And read all you can, read everything." – Stan Lee

》》》

Chapter II: Mutant

It was difficult to understand every interaction between Natasha and the young woman from a different side of the glass, but Tony Stark's interest was piqued when the girl began to write on a piece of paper attached to one of Dr. Banner's clipboards. She wrote for a few minutes, Natasha simply switching between observing the girl, and reading what she was writing. It was a few minutes later that Natasha said something to the girl, retrieved the clipboard, and came back inside the room where the rest of the team and Tony had been waiting.

"She doesn't remember anything except for this," Natasha informed the team as soon as the door shut behind her and she handed the clipboard to Dr. Banner. "It's a memory she just experienced again a minute ago. She woke up on a beach and noticed a wristband she was wearing. She took it off because it was cutting into her skin and tried to read it but the print was too small. Before she could grab it again, she got sick and then lost consciousness."

Dr. Bruce Banner finished reading the written words around the time Natasha finished describing the memory to the rest of the team. He handed the clipboard to Tony and he skimmed over it before looking back up at Natasha.

"So she has no idea what the wristband said?" Tony clarified and Natasha shook her head.

"Nope. She was dehydrated, starved, exhausted, not to mention frostbitten and confused. Her vision would have been very weak," Natasha explained. "My guess is the wristband either got pulled back into the ocean or it's buried somewhere in the sand where you found her," she continued as she looked at Tony. "There's a slim chance we'll find it but we should still look."

Tony nodded in agreement. "Let's wait until she's well enough to come with us. Taking her back to the spot I found her might trigger other memories," he responded and everyone nodded, mumbling their agreement. "Did you find out anything else?" Tony asked Natasha.

Natasha shrugged. "Just that she has no recollection of what happened to her or where she came from. She doesn't even remember her name," she told the team. "Good news is her memory can be retrieved through certain things. She remembered finding the wristband when she saw the laceration on her wrist."

Tony nodded and sighed, setting the clipboard down on a nearby table. There was a brief silence before Bruce spoke up.

"I should check up on her. Judging by her body's reaction to the frostbite, her other wounds may have healed but I still need to check," he explained, turning to Natasha. "I'll need your assistance if that's alright. I'm sure she would be more comfortable with you rather than me checking for any wounds under her gown."

Natasha nodded her head and both she and Bruce entered the girl's room. It appeared Natasha was introducing Bruce to the girl and the girl seemed emotionless aside from a slight discomfort as she shifted around in the bed.

"I'm gonna head up to Fury's office to update him on what's going on. I'd appreciate a sidekick," Tony mentioned to Steve as he grabbed his jacket and slipped it on over his shoulders, heading for the door to leave the laboratory.

"Sidekick?" Steve spoke with a raised eyebrow, which earned him a smug smile from Tony, and a sarcastic smirk from the archer and father-of-two, Clint Barton.

"Welcome to the club," the archer said to Steve as he followed behind Tony to leave, and Steve followed them with an amused chuckle. Clint then spoke again as the three men walked in a line down the wide hallway towards the elevator. "Anything you guys need before I head to my floor?" Clint added.