Chapter XI: Ontario - Part I

"With great power comes great responsibility." - Stan Lee

》》》

Chapter XI: Ontario - Part I

"The tracker that we placed in her arm isn't showing up on the monitor, which is suspicious considering it was working fine before. Do you think the enemy agent cut it out or is messing with our system?" Bruce rambled, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion as he continued rebooting the monitor only to come up with nothing.

"There's no way she could know exactly where we placed the tracking chip in Ariel and even if she did, she clearly isn't stupid and should know that if she tried to cut it out, Ariel would bleed to death in under two hours. And there's also no way this system could be penetrated. I'm the one who created it," Tony responded, shaking his head as he paced to room with his arms crossed.

"Hold on- you put a tracking chip in Ariel?" Natasha questioned angrily, her voice raising.

Both Bruce and Tony halted in their actions and looked back at Natasha. "Of course we did. How did you think we found her when she ran off this morning?" Tony defended in a tone that suggested Natasha was stupid.

The agent groaned in frustration, holding her hands by her temples briefly. "You can't just do something like that without asking or telling her! No wonder she doesn't trust you idiots!" Natasha exclaimed before rushing out of the room, grabbing her jacket on the way.

"Nat, wait, where are you going?" Bruce yelled, chasing after her anxiously, leaving Tony alone with Peter, Clint and Steve.

"This is all my fault. This would have never happened if we had just waited to let her leave the tower," Tony muttered to himself, his chest rising and falling with each anxious breath he drew into his lungs.

Peter swallowed and glanced at both Clint and Steve before speaking. "Mr. Stark, you can't blame yourself entirely. You didn't know Ariel was going to run off," he tried, but Tony just shook his head.

"No, kid. I tricked her into going back to a scary place and that wasn't okay. She wasn't ready, and these are the consequences," Tony responded and Peter sighed quietly, his thoughts a jumbled mess and his emotions tangled with each other confusingly.

Steve stepped forward. "There has to be another way to track the chip you put in her arm," the captain began.

Tony shook his head. "We haven't installed the tracking number into other devices yet. I should have done that as soon as we put the tracker in her, but didn't think she'd be kidnapped this fast," he groaned, gripping his hair in frustration, rolling his eyes. "We might just have to find her by putting soldiers in the air to scan the area. It's only been an hour; they couldn't have gotten very fa-"

Tony's voice was cut off by a repetitive beeping emitting from the monitor and all of the men whipped their heads to the side to see a mobile blue arrow on the monitor screen with Ariel's name and tracking number attached to it. Tony rushed forward and examined the screen and his expression dropped, eyes slightly wider.

"This thing has to be broken. This is impossible," Tony muttered.

"What? What is it?" Peter panicked rushing towards the screen, Clint and Steve right behind him.

"They're already passing the border of Ontario," Tony said, his body rigid and unmoving with shock and confusion. "That's a seven hour flight and it's only been just under an hour since she escaped with Ariel."

The room went silent for what felt like an eternity before Steve spoke up. "I'm not doubting you, Tony, but it does seem unlikely they could make it so far so fast," he began and the three other men turned to look at the captain. "Transfer the tracking data to your phone and we'll see what we can do from there."