Chapter V: The Peter Tingle

"I never thought that Spider-Man would become the worldwide icon that he is. I just hoped the books would sell and I'd keep my job." - Stan Lee

》》》

Chapter V: The Peter Tingle

Tony should have known that Peter Parker is the only superhuman that would actually make a loud, clumsy entrance upon arrival (through the window, mind you) with about a million and one questions tumbling from his mouth. But Tony's mind was so preoccupied with his thoughts regarding the conversation he had with the girl whose name he still had yet to learn, and Peter had startled him when he had made this grand entrance in his Spider-Man suit.

"Mr. Stark, I'm so sorry I'm late, my teacher kept going on and on and on about our homework, and then I tripped and fell while getting in my suit, but now I'm here! By the way, is everything okay? You didn't tell me what it's about and you look stressed. Not that you look bad! You look great! Actually, do I even need my suit? I can change if you want-"

Tony barely heard half of what Peter had been rambling on and stuttering about given his overwhelmed state, and he simply raised his charcoal eyes to land on the teenage boy who had now pulled off his red mask to meet Tony's eyes directly. Peter was like a son to Tony but he had trouble admitting it. Tony often had insecurities about being a father figure to Peter. He knew that the boy viewed him in such a way, but Tony was unsure if he could live up to the role. Peter never had a father, or even a mother, just his aunt and uncle, then he lost his uncle in death. But Tony was also able to be a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on for Peter. He knew what it was like growing up without a father figure. His father was never around and when he was, he wasn't affectionate in the slightest. It wasn't long into his early adult years his father passed, leaving him with a void he didn't realize he needed to be filled. Peter and Tony understood each other. Like father and son.

"It's fine, kid. You're not that late," Tony spoke up in response as he rubbed one side of his head as if to relieve a migraine. "And you don't necessarily need your suit. It's not Spidey or Iron Man business," he added and Peter took a seat on the cushioned chair across from the couch Tony sat back on in the lounge area near the laboratory.

"Okay," Peter said simply, a little unsure as to how he should proceed. Tony looked stressed and Peter had only ever been around Stressed Tony when it was his actions causing Tony's stress. He wasn't sure if Tony needed a friend or a sidekick right now. So he simply asked, "Is everything okay, Mr. Stark?"

Tony raised his head and forced a minuscule smile. "Yeah, just exhausted. We've got a bit of a situation here," he began and Peter perked up slightly, his curiosity rising as he leaned forward slightly in interest. "Pepper and I were in Maine over the weekend and I found a girl on a private beach nearby, injured, alone and unconscious. We think she may be a mutant."

Peter raised his eyebrows, brown eyes slightly widening. "Really? What makes you think she's a mutant?" He questioned.

Tony rested his arms over his knees and laced his fingers together as he continued. "She was frostbitten when we found her and when we were observing her from the lab, her body seemed to heal itself. Within seconds, the blisters and black and blue skin on her hands and feet faded, as well as her other injuries. She's good as new," Tony explained and Peter stared back at him in shock, as well as fascination, eyebrows knitted together lightly.

Peter mulled the information over for a moment before continuing. "Do you think her self-healing abilities are what kept her alive out at sea for so long?"

Tony shrugged, nodding. "Must be. No human being could survive something like that," he clarified. "The reason I called you down here is because she looks to be around seventeen, we're not sure. Can't find any record on her or any facial recognition. We thought she could use a friend. Someone her age who doesn't seem as intimidating."