Chapter VI: Little Mermaid

"Virtually every kid is exposed to giants and ogres and talking wolves, and so forth. And magic. And I think you never outgrow your love for those imaginative, fanciful, far-fetched, fantastic characters and situations." – Stan Lee

》》》

Chapter VI: Little Mermaid

Her feet balanced across the icy cold water's surface as she stepped east, an eerily foreign sense of calm washing over her despite the storm that raged around her like a furious being. The walls of sleet and hail that showered down around her blocked her vision of what lay in the distance as she narrowed her brown eyes, desperate for answers. A gap in the weather revealed an enormous black silhouette of a ship, one that was used for deep sea fishing out in the middle of the ocean where it was the most dangerous. Goosebumps ran up her frozen arms, a terrifying signal for her to get away as a strike of white-hot lightning lit up behind the ship, revealing outlines of men standing aboard, staring across the sea at her with glazed eyes. An instinctive feeling flooded her veins as she raised her arm, directing her hand towards the ship of men, and she shut her eyes, feeling an energy drain from her as she strained her mind and muscles. She blinked her eyes open to find the ship sinking violently into the sea, eerie screams echoing from the people aboard as she forced it lower and lower until the water consumed it. As the ship had disappeared below the ocean's surface, the storm came to an immediate halt, the waves dropping to lay flat and the clouds beginning to dissolve. The girl stood atop the water's surface, staring ahead at a distance, but there was nothing but blue water. Her eyelids dropped in sudden exhaustion and she felt a warm, thick liquid drip from her lips as she collapsed, and the sea consumed her as it had consumed the ship moments before.

The girl's eyes blinked open, her body slightly jolting with shock as her senses came alive from her dream state. Her heart rate began to slow down as she took a few deep breaths and recalled her real surroundings, a bedroom that had been arranged for her to stay in temporarily. The sheets that covered her healing body were softer than the hospital bed's sheets, and they held colors of pale gray and a rich yellow. She wasn't too familiar with many colors other than white, black, gray and blue, but yellow that bathed the walls and mixed with her new bed reminded her of the sun, which she couldn't remember seeing very much of anyway. There were a few spots of pale pink sporadically placed around the bedroom, which she found to be a pleasing sight. There were also soft rugs laid down in a few sections that always made her toes curl, a little smile meeting her face at its comforting texture, like now as she stepped out of her bed and onto the rug.

Her petite frame had been dressed in a new set of clothes, something she found extremely fascinating. She couldn't recall if she'd ever worn pants before and she was still deciding whether or not she liked them. They were very soft pajama pants with a silk string pulled through the waistband, and a pale blue sweater to accompany them that was just as soft. She had slept very well with them on, with the exception of her strange dreams that never seemed to leave her psyche.

The girl stepped over to the large dresser a few feet from her new bed, four sets of three drawers holding a variety of clothes. She had only tried on the pajamas, her fingertips being drawn to them as she decided what to wear to bed the night before. They were a little big on her but most of the wardrobe that had been bought for her seemed it would fit her. Everything had tags that read either small or extra small on them. She bent down to open one of the drawers she remembered had jeans in them. She found a pair that were simple and had a smooth, flexible material that she removed from the drawer and laid down on the floor carefully beside her. She then began to venture into the drawer she had seen shirts and tank tops in. She found one that was a very deep gray and had two words printed on the front in an interesting font: Black Sabbath. She was unsure of what this meant but she assumed it couldn't be anything wrong since these clothes were bought by the people helping her. She grabbed it and placed it over the pair of jeans she had selected, ready to stand up and go get washed up when she noticed an article of clothing under the shirts in the drawer.