Chapter 10

Agnes POV

I wake up to the feeling of someone running their hand through my hair. Everything around me is warm and comfortable. I snuggle deeper into my pillow. The pillow shifts and my eyes shoot wide open. Killian grunts in his sleep, wrapping his arm more securely around me. I'm lying down over top of Killian with my head on his chest.

I start to roll off of him, but his grip tightens. I roll my eyes. "Let go, I'm hungry!" His eyes slowly open, revealing his mesmerizing emerald orbs. I lay my hand lightly on his chest, and try not to blush like an idiot.

Suddenly, he flips us so that he's hovering over me on the couch. "You choosing food over me angel baby?"

I swallow hard. I look up into his eyes with the most innocent face I can muster. "Killian." I breathe out. His eyes darken with lust, and his grip on my waist tightens. Then, as he leans in, I knee him in the uh.......downstairs.

"Ah fuck Agnes!" He yells, rolling off of me. I laugh and hop off the couch. He groans in pain and sits on the floor. I turn to him as I bolt for the door. "Sorry not sorry! Food above all!"

I run through the hallway to the bar. Leo and Lana are sitting at the counter, and look understandably concerned; I'm racing around the clubhouse, slipping on my thigh-high socks. I never run anywhere. I'm lazy as hell.

"What's up with you lady?" Lana asks.

Leo looks at her incredulously. "Are you really that dumb? She's trying to find me," Lana smacks his arm causing him to wince. "Ow! Agnes she hit me!" I laugh as Lana pushes Leo off his stool and chases him out of the bar, all while he's yelling, "AH! ASSAULT! WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU PEOPLE LETTING HER DO THIS?!"

I start to hiccup, I'm laughing so hard. Damian enters through where Leo and Lana just exited, looking like he's questioning his whole existence. "Do I want to know?"

"Nope." I tell him honestly.

He nods his head. He ruffles my hair, and makes his way back behind the bar. "So, did you have fun last night?"

I feel my face go beet red. "W-what are you talking about?" I say a little too loudly. I cringe inwardly.

"What do you mean?" He asks cocking his head in confusion. "I was just asking if you had a good time at the party."

"Oh." My eyes dart around the room as he chuckles.

"Relax Agnes, I was just asking." I exhale a breath I didn't realize I had been holding. "But seriously, did you have fun?"

I smile to myself and think about last night. I'm getting adopted by people that love me. Killian ditched Dahlia to hang out with me. I was surrounded by the people I love. I smile at Damian. "Yeah, I had a great time." He smiles right back at me. "Glad to hear it kid."

I roll my eyes at the nickname and grab a plate of waffles and bacon from the kitchen. After finishing it, I run back up the stairs to get ready for school.

The second I'm ready, I hear honking from outside. I peer out the window and see Lana, Rusty, Damian, Leo, and Killian already in the car. Leo is laying on the horn while Lana yells something at him. I giggle and race and down the stairs.

I hop in the van and sit in the very back. Leo is imitating the way girls giggle, Rusty is attempting to stop Lana from throttling Leo, Killian is driving with an expression akin to one that a disappointed father might wear, and Damian looks as though he's contemplating jumping out the window. "Let It Be," by The Beatles comes on, and I just enjoy the soft melody. Killian glances at me in the rear-view mirror, and cranks the music up over the clamor in the car. I meet his gaze and mouth a, "thank you." We drive in silence for the rest of the way.

As soon as we arrive a school, we all take off in different directions. Killian helps me out of the van. "You feeling alright?" He asks as he shuts the door.

"Yeah, I'm fine," A though occurs to me. "Hey did you get in trouble for beating that kid?" A muscle in his jaw ticks.

"Yeah, I was suspended. That's partially why I stayed home to look after you." I cock my head. "Partially?" He lets out a chuckle. "Angel, I'd have skipped school to take care of you." I feel my face heat up, and I can't fend off the smile that invades my face. "Oh." He squeezes my hand , and we arrive at my homeroom.

"I'll come get you later, yeah?" I look up and meet his eyes. I'm still smiling like a lovesick idiot, but I can't help it. I nod my head. He kisses my temple and walks off down the hallway.

As I'm turning to enter the classroom, I collide with someone. "Whoa, hello," I look up slightly to see a guy with short brown hair, and hazel-green eyes. He's not very tall, but he has a decent amount of muscle.

"I'm so sorry! I should have been looking where I was going, it's just I was waving goodbye to my friend, and well-" He cuts me off by laying a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Calm down, It's alright. No need to run yourself out of air," As he says this, I suck in a much needed breath. "I'm Lucas by the way, I'm new here." He holds out his hand and I shake it politely.

"Nice to meet you Lucas. Where did you move here from?" I ask him. "Ohio. How long have you lived here?"

"I've lived here my whole life!" His eyebrows shoot up. "Really? Could you tell me what you guys do for fun around here? Everything seems kind of....." He trails off.

"Dead?" A voice sounds from behind us. I turn around and see Leo. He's smiling, but something about it is off.

"Yeah, actually. So, what do you guys do?" Lucas remains oblivious to the sinister ulterior to Leo's grin.

Leo casually walks up behind me, and sticks close to my side. "Oh you know, shoplift, steal candy from babies, light things on fire."

Lucas arches and eyebrow and looks over to me. "How about you?" I have to think about that one for a moment. "Well, there's Mindy's bakery I usually hang out there, there are a couple nature trails through the woods, but I'm afraid Leo wasn't joking about lighting things on fire."

Lucas's face pales a little, and I realize what I just said. "Oh! I meant we have bonfires! Not that we're arsonists. Well, maybe some people here are..." I trail off awkwardly.

Leo and Lucas burst out laughing. "By the way, I'm Leo." Lucas shakes the hand Leo offers. "Lucas. Just moved here." The two continue their conversation, and I start to feel like a third wheel again. As the two converse, I slip into the classroom.

Killian POV

The bell rings, signifying the end of the day. I stand up and make my way through the crowded hallways. I can't wait to see Agnes again. I missed her today, and I want to see how she's feeling rib-wise. I spot her outside looking around. I walk up behind her. She relaxes into me as I slip my arm around her waist. "Hi." She says quietly. I hum in response.

"LEO I SWEAR I'M GOING TO RIP OUT YOUR SPINE AND BEAT YOU WITH IT!" The two of us whip around and see Rusty chasing Leo. Damian and Lana walk over to us. "What the hell happened?" I ask.

"Leo asked about why Lana was talking to that new kid Lucas," Damian starts. "Then he started to ask if Lana liked him, and Rusty started getting pissed off. So then of course, being the brilliant specimen that he is, Leo tried making a bet with Rusty about when Lana and Lucas would hookup."

Lana is quiet and her arms are crossed over her chest. For as long as I've known her, Lana has been tough. She doesn't let people know when she's hurting or upset. But I'm her best friend. I grew up with her. I know her. She's in love with Rusty. Rusty admitted to me that he's in love with her. But Rusty, well....let's just say that these two have a long way to go together. I sigh as we all load into the van. A tense silence settles over us for the remainder of the ride, and I can't help but wonder how I can help Lana.