7. Trouble is Back

Lorenzo

Emrick is back.

Cordelia has been mine since the day I laid eyes on her. I can't bear the thought of her in someone else's arms.

Sure I didn't had any good thoughts about her but I did not had any bad thoughts either.
But I can't tell if others had good intentions of her or not.

I didn't trusted her with anyone but me.

She had been a mystery and still is.

When I first saw her I thought she must've ran away from some sort of abuse, she was scared too. So that was my closest guess.

I still don't know From where she came.
Her birth certificate.. Her birth place.. Parents.. Orphan..?..then where's her orphanage..?
No documents on her.

A patient?.. memory loss..?..then which hospital..?.. then she must be a spy! But no signs. Two years and she made no move.

From where in the world is she from!??

She never says a word. I don't force her to.
The doctor's reports confirmed she lost a part of her memory, but still couldn't find what caused it.

I brought her to the party partially because I wanted to check if she had any hidden intentions.
Maybe she'll make a move if I leave her alone.

But when she looked at me before leaving with a server. I felt a pang in my chest.

She trusted me.

I wanted her trust too. But it scared me the same.

This banquet was organized for Emrick 's birthday celebration.

Strange. The birthday boy still isn't here yet.

I gestured Alphonso to follow up Cordelia.

He messaged me not long after five minutes.
'Trap' I stiffened but acted quick.

I excused myself. In the way I instructed Samuel to clear out the guests if it comes down to Shooting.

Exiting the elevator I stood out the door where Alphonso pointed.

I turned the knob.

It was locked.

"You are Mine." My hands froze.

Emrick's voice. It was so faint I strained to hear more and clearly.

Fuck!

I can't hear more.

It's soundproof.

He's saying this shit to.. Cordiela!?

Damnit!

I took out my gun ready to shoot the lock open.

Alphonso stepped between me and the door. I stared up at him, Questioningly.

"Sir. Think it through." He said quietly. He rarely reminded me my stands.

I stepped back, Breathing out heavily.

We are at Emrick's. Means, His territory.
He turns 25 today.

It clicked me right then.

It's me who doesn't belong here.

Cordelia was the promised girl to Emrick even before we caught her. The agreement was made.

I was the one who kept her all along believing and making others believe she is suspicious and needs to be under supervision because her origin is questionable, Because she is unusual and medically mentally unstable because her talks keeps rearing back to ocean's unreal tales from the very first day.

Emrick is just back reminding Me His Property is under My Care.

But I never took money or shares from him in exchange for the promised girl saying he can give me the money when he receives the product.

He is the type to enjoy things he is fond of leisurely.
He won't harm his doll.

I didn't waste anymore second, Alphonso had already stepped aside.

I shoot open the door and found Cordiela stuck to his chest, her face wet from tears.

My gun was raised. Cordelia took the chance to escape and then I was in his face.

I heard she left. I guess Maids dragged her out.

I fired.

The bullet hit the wall straight past his right eye.

I didn't hurt him.
He didn't hurt what's mine.

"I get why you can't let her go. She's a trophy." He rested his hand on my shoulder like we've been buddies for years. I breathed. Waited for more to come. "But you do remember our deal. Right?" His fingers tightened. I clenched.

I wasn't a good man either.

"She isn't yours, I don't have your end of the deal."

"Oh Lorenzo. I can feed you whatever you want." He shrugged.

I shook my head. "I don't want your money." I said simply.

"Then what do you want in exchange for her?"

"Nothing. I'm not selling her." The conversation was done on my part but I could see the fire in his eyes.

"You kept her for two years saying you're investigating!" He seethed out the last word disgustingly.

"I was. Till now. This party was a test for her." I slid my gun back in my pocket. There was no need for bullets, my words are enough.

"I saw for myself. There was nothing out of place in her. I think you were just tricking yourself into believing that when all you wanted was Her." How his words are raging me. "You didn't touched her because you felt the guilt. You kept reminding yourself she isn't yours, doesn't belong here and shit like that." Meeting my gaze he challenged.
I couldn't.

He was right.

I can't just simply sell her to him.

Money is no issue. Promise is.

I gave my word.

And right now.. I'm Going Back On What I Said.

I turned and Started for the door, our talks lead to no conclusions. Our fight does.

"She was supposed to be my toy Lorenz. I don't care about the deal anymore. I Want the girl. Nonetheless." He made clear his agenda..

...So did I "I laid eyes on her first Emrick. Can't bear losing her now."

I stopped short before locking the door behind me. "Never lay your filthy hands on her Again." I growled. It was a pure warning.

"I get want I want Lorenzo." He called back like it's a game.

"So do I." I growled again. My anger simmering just below the surface. I have been holding myself back. My burning fists could colloid with his face any moment now.

It was a Declaration Of War.

I shut the door behind me. I racked my hand down my face and through hair I don't know how many times.

I just did that.

I was afraid this would happen.

I knew it was coming.

It is clear the two families will clash sooner or later.

But for a girl? Will HE really go that far?

His intensity of future attacks will tell me his queue. I'll attack back with twice as much intensity.