Chapter Two

*Alice's POV*

"What?" Lady Grantham asked sitting down in a chair to help her obtain the shock.

"Years ago I got too involved with a maid. She resigned and left. I had no idea she was pregnant, especially with my child!" Lord Grantham yelled. I started to back away from Lord Grantham towards the door. Him yelling initiating my fight or flight response. I ran out of the house. I heard them yelling my name to come back, but I was too far gone. My fear had taken over me.

I kept running until I bumped into something. Or in this case, someone. "Where are you of to in a hurry." The man said smiling kindly at me. He had soft brown eyes and a smile that spread all the way to his eyes. He held his hand out while his other held onto a cane. I reached out at took his outstretched hand. He helped me to my feet. "Now may I ask why were you in such a hurry?"

I sighed and looked down to the ground. "I had a bit of a disagreement with someone." His kind smile stayed.

"Why don't you come with me and I can make you a cup of tea to help warm you up and you can tell me all about it." He said holding out his elbow to me.

"But I don't even know your name. Plus I wouldn't want to intrude."

"My name is John Bates and you would be quite welcomed at the house I work at. I'm sure Lord and Lady Grantham wouldn't mind." He said unknowing of the anxiety these few words caused me.

"Lord Grantham? As in Robert Crawley? You work at Downton Abbey?" I asked taking a step back.

"Yes. Is everything alright? You got pale all of the sudden. Are you feeling alright?" He asked out of genuine kindness not realizing the stress he was causing.

"I-I have to go!" I turned and started running in the other direction. Rain started to pour, causing me to become soaking wet. I ran until I slipped in the mud causing me to fall and roll down a large hill. I rolled down the hill for feet before I finally hit a rock. Things started to look fuzzy all of the sudden. It was what felt like hours had passed when I heard shouting in the distance. Just as I saw someone approaching, everything went black.