Chapter 4

(Flashbacks are in bold)

It has been an hour since Rayyan was sitting in their house and telling Jahangir about his former life, and not surprisingly Jahangir was impressed by all that.

"Baba! Would you like to drink tea?"

"Yes, beta. Make a cup for Rayyan too."

"Sure," Abrish said with a smile set up on her face. Rayyan had been glancing towards her from time to time. Seeing her smiling he wished that she would have been the reason. But only he wished.

Abrish came in the kitchen and took a long breath. She has been trying her best not to let her wander off to her past where she was very happy, with Rayyan. Making the tea, Abrish's mind wandered off to the day which she thought that was the best day of her life.

"What's wrong, Hadia? It seems like you are up to something."

"How can you tell that, Abrish?"

"Because you are clearly not understanding what I am teaching you."

"I..um.."

"See. You were not listening."

Just then Hadia's phone buzzed, indicating an incoming message. Abrish bend down to look at it. Rayyan's name popped up. The message simply said 'it's time.'

"Come on Abrish. We need to go."

"Where?"

"Just come with me."

"First tell me, what's happening?"

"Abrish Fatima, just keep your mouth shut and come."

Abrish sighed, "Fine."

Hadia took hold of her hand and they both walked to the cafe. Abrish, confused walked in. Her classmates were all there gathered.

"What's happening?"

"Just wait," Hadia whispered.

"He is here. Rayyan's here," someone said.

Abrish turned around to see Rayyan walking with his friends.

"Abrish!" he walked towards her.

"Rayyan! What's happening?"

"Everyone please gather around," he called out.

All of them gathered around.

"Abrish! You know that it had been quite sometime since we have known each other in a completely new light. We have been spending time with each other. A few days back I realized something. It's something which I never knew would happen. I want to tell you this thing. I... I love you, Abrish Fatima," Rayyan said looking straight in those eyes. Abrish was expecting anything but this.

"Do you have the same feelings for me too, Abrish?" this time Rayyan questioned. But Abrish was speechless. Her cheeks had gone pink and her eyes were downcast.

"Abrish, tell him how you feel," Hadia nudged her.

"Abrish you do not have to say something. Just hold my hand and I would take it as that you love me too," Rayyan said extending his hand.

Abrish looked up at him. Her heart was telling her to hold his hand but her mind has gone numb. Therefore, she listened to her heart. She extended her shaking hand which Rayyan held in his warm grip. The cafe was filled with cheers. Hadia hugged Abrish and Abrish laughed. She has never been happy.

"Watch out Abrish," a panicked yet firm voice brought her back. She jumped up at the sudden voice. The water from the kettle was falling down. She jerked her head up and found Rayyan standing there. Quickly she tried to take off the kettle but in this attempt burned her hand.

"Ouch!" Abrish said with pain.

"Show me," Rayyan took her hand.

"Stay away. Please."

"Abrish, you have burned your hand. Let me help you."

"No! I can help myself," Abrish said walked out towards her room. She entered her room and closed the door. The burnt hand was paining a lot, she applied the ointment on it and closed her eyes, stopping her mind from going to Rayyan. She could hear the main gate closing, indicating that Rayyan has gone. At that moment she remembered that she had to give her father his medicine. She walked towards his room and knocked, but got no reply.

'Maybe Baba is in restroom. I should wait inside,' she thought to herself.

She walked inside her room, but the sight she saw made her shriek. Her father was lying on the floor, clutching his heart and taking deep breaths desperately.

"Baba! Bba! What is happening? Farzana Auntie! Farzana Auntie! Ask the driver to take the car, Baba is not feeling well," she shouted, her voice hoarse.

She quickly took all the important things and stuffed them in her bag, and ran outside. She had to call someone who can help. Rayyan.

She dialled his number as the car sped on the road.

"Rayyan! Rayyan," she started crying as soon as she heard his voice.

"What's wrong, Abrish? Are you okay?" Rayyan said as if his whole world was turned upside down listening Abrish crying.

"Baba! Rayyan I am taking him to..hospital. I need... you."

"I am coming Abrish. Everything would be fine."

She disconnected the call and turned towards her father.

"Baba! Talk to me please. Stay strong."

"A....Abr...Abrish, m..my child. Promise... promise me that you will do what I say."

"Yess..yes baba. Anything."

"You...you will marry.. Rayy.. Rayyan.'

Listening to her father's wish made her quiet.

"Promise me Abrish. I have seen love... love for you. Abrish."

"Oka.. Okay baba. I promise."

They had reached hospital and Abrish saw Rayyan running towards their car. Seeing him, unknowingly made her relax a bit. Jahangir was taken to Emergency Department, while the crying Abrish collapsed in the chair. Now the only thing she could do was to pray from Allah and wait. Wait for a good news. This is the worst thing of hospital. You wait for such a long time for your loved one and either you get a good news or a bad one. Everybody dreads bad news. And that was what Abrish dreading. She will not be able to stand that news.

..............................

Do comment and vote.

Enjoy reading

Until then,

Allah Hafiz