nine

Mike arrived home late that night. He had to sneak in; something he had never done before. It did not go well.

He attempted to climb the side of the house into his window, but fell a couple of times. On his fifth attempt, he actually made it inside.

Exhausted and confused, he fell into his bed and fell asleep almost immediately.

(Y/n) got home extremely late. One in the morning. Later than she's ever gotten home.

"Where were you?" Steve asked sternly. She looked at him and immediately broke down, falling onto her knees. Her bass slid against the wall and rested on the shelf.

"I'm sorry," she choked out. Steve ran for her side immediately and consoled her.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Mike is ashamed to be with me," she said.

"That's not true. What makes you say that?" Steve asked, moving the hair out of her face.

"He was at my show tonight. I spotted him and told Rosie, who announced him as my boyfriend. He ran out after that," she explained.

"I don't think that means he's ashamed of you, honey. I think that he just didn't expect it, maybe?" Steve said calmly.

"He still hasn't broken up with that girl. I'm a side-piece," she said, sobbing louder.

"You are not! Here, come on. Let's go get some Slurpees to get your mind off of this ass," Steve said, standing up and offering her his hand. She took it with a smile and ran outside to his car.

-

Mike woke up to Will beating him with a pillow.

"Will, I am going to shove that pillow up your ass if you don't stop," Mike yelled, sitting up.

"You got home late. I heard you fall off the side of the house. Where were you?" Will asked.

"Out," Mike said, getting off of his bed and walking towards his closet.

"With El? How was it? Did she accept your apo-"

"No, Will. I didn't go to Max's. I didn't apologize to El, and I'm just.. really confused right now. Stop interrogating me!" Mike yelled. Will looked shocked and dropped the pillow. Soon, that shock turned to anger.

"You went to her house didn't you?" Will asked angrily.

"What? No! You're missing my point!" Mike yelled.

"No, Mike! You're missing my point! You're cheating on your girlfriend!" Will yelled.

"What?" A familiar voice said. The two boys turned to see El standing at the doorway.

"El?" Mike asked, his tone softening. He walked over to her, but she smacked him across the face.

"Friends don't lie!" She screamed.

"El, I'm so so-"

"No!" She interrupted. Her face was filled with hate and her hands were balled into fists.

"El, come on. Just listen-" Will tried to intervene. He just wanted them to stop fighting.

"Who is she?" El asked.

"No one. That doesn't matter," Mike said.

"Fine," El said, stomping down the stairs. The photos hung on the wall fell down one by one as she passed them. With an aggressive wave of her hand, the door was flung open.

"Well that was interesting," Nancy said, poking her head into Mike's room.

"Out!" Mike yelled, slamming the door.

"Damn, sorry," Nancy yelled from outside of the door.

"I fucked up. I fucked up bad. She won't even listen to me," Mike said, sitting on his bed.

"You should've said something sooner," Will said softly.

"I know. I was just scared about how she would react," Mike said, his voice cracking.

"What's wrong?" Will asked. A stupid question that was obvious, but Mike appreciated Will asking.

"I just... I really like this girl, Will. My feelings for El just.. faded, I guess. That happens. This girl... she's amazing," Mike explained.

"Tell me about her," Will said.

"Her name is (Y/n). She plays bass in a band, a cool band. And she's really fun, and different, too. She's not like anyone I've ever met before. She doesn't have a family dinner on Thanksgiving, she goes to 7/11 with her brother. How wicked is that? I know I only met her recently... but I think I love her, Will. I haven't felt this feeling since I first met El," Mike gushed. Will gave him a sad smile.

While he was upset because of the situation, he was happy that Mike was happy.

"I understand," Will said.

"Every time I look at her, I just melt. Does that make sense? I don't know. Whenever I would look at El, I felt this same feeling. But I don't feel that way with El anymore. (Y/n)'s voice is like music, I just want to be with her all the time," Mike said.

"That's actually really cute. Mike... go to her," Will said, standing up.

"What?" Mike asked, also standing up.

"Go," Will said with a sad smile. Mike returned the smile and walked out of his room, down the stairs and out of his house.

He walked her home the day before, so he had a vague idea of where she lived.

Once he reached her house, he saw her and Steve driving away in his car. Mike and (Y/n) made eye contact through her window. He smiled. She didn't.

"Did I do something wrong?" Mike asked himself. He had no idea. But he wanted to get to the bottom of it.