sixteen

december

It was the day of the Snowball dance, and the party was extremely excited. They had decided to go to the dance separately and meet up when they got there.

Max and (Y/n) decided to get ready together at (Y/n)'s house. Steve would be driving them to the dance.

"Are you excited?" Max asked, looking around (Y/n)'s room.

"Eh. I guess," (Y/n) replied. She was sitting at her desk putting makeup on.

"Why?" Max asked, concerned.

"Oh, I don't know. I'm just... nervous, I guess," (Y/n) replied, blending out her foundation with a sponge.

"Don't be. You're gonna look beautiful, and we're gonna have so much fun," Max said with a smile.

The plan was to have Max do (Y/n)'s hair and (Y/n) do Max's makeup. Then, they'd put on their dresses and go.

"Does the party have anything planned for after the dance?" (Y/n) asked.

"I don't think so. Mike told me he wants to hang out with you though," Max said with a smirk. 

"Max?" (Y/n) asked.

"Hm?" Max replied, walking over to the bed, where her backpack was.

"Do you think... do you think Mike loves me?" (Y/n) asked. Ever since she met El, she's been insecure about their relationship. She felt as if she was the second best in his life.

"What? How could you even ask that? Of course he does," Max said, whipping around and facing her.

"I don't know. It's just... Eleven seems great. Not from what I've seen, but from what I've heard. I'm scared he'll realize she's better than me," (Y/n) explained sadly.

"Hey, don't say that. Sure, El is cool, but you're cooler. You're automatically cooler because you let me teach you how to skateboard. You don't try to kill other girls who talk to Mike. And you can form full sentences," Max said with a laugh.

"I guess so. Thanks Max," (Y/n) said. Max smiled and hugged (Y/n) before going back to her backpack. She pulled out a curling iron and a straightener.

"Which one?" Max asked. (Y/n) pointed to her hair tool of choice and turned around to the mirror once more.

"So. How are you and Lucas going?" (Y/n) asked, applying her eyeshadow.

"Pretty decent, actually. I really like him," Max replied, plugging in the hair tool.

(note: i'm gonna do a ____ every time a hair tool is mentioned. just because i want to give you guys a choice 😌)

"I can tell he really likes you too," (Y/n) said with a smile.

Her makeup was simple, but not subtle. She had decided to do a silver glittery eye look, with a simple face look. All of that topped off with some clear lip gloss.

"Did you know that Mike talks about you all the time?" Max asked.

"What?" (Y/n) replied, facing her.

"Well, if you ever aren't around, he always talks about how much he loves you. And how great and pretty you are. He told us not to tell you, but I don't know why," Max said with a shrug. (Y/n) smiled and faced the mirror, finishing her makeup.

"Alright, ready?" (Y/n) asked, standing up. Max sat in the chair as (Y/n) showed her all of her makeup.

Meanwhile, the boys' getting ready process was not going as smooth.

They all decided to meet at Mike's house. The original plan was for all of them to go separately, but once they heard the girls' plan, they changed it.

"Max is wearing a blue dress. Mike! Give me a blue tie," Lucas yelled from the basement. Lucas and Dustin were in the basement while Mike was upstairs.

"In a minute!" Mike yelled from the kitchen. Dustin demanded chocolate pudding, so Mike was getting some for him.

"When you guys are ready just let me know," Nancy said, popping into the kitchen. Mike nodded and looked back at the fridge. He knew they had chocolate pudding somewhere.

"Mike!" Dustin yelled.

"In a minute!" Mike yelled back, more aggressive.

He grabbed a chocolate pudding cup from the fridge and a spoon from the drawer. With an eye roll, he walked down the stairs.

"Finally," Dustin said, snatching the pudding cup.

"Did you get the tie?" Lucas asked.

"Hold on," Mike said with a sigh. He walked back up the stairs to his room.

Before grabbing the tie, he glanced at himself in the mirror. (Y/n) was wearing a (f/c) dress, so he had on a matching tie. To keep things simple, he wore a black suit and a white button up shirt underneath.

He snatched a blue tie from his closet and ran back downstairs to the boys.

"This is the wrong shade," Lucas complained.

"Shut up. It's the only blue tie I have," Mike said, sitting on the couch.

"Do you not have any other ties?" Lucas asked.

"How many fucking ties do you think I have?" Mike yelled.

"Woah, woah, woah! No swearing in this Christian household!" Dustin said jokingly.

"You boys ready?" Nancy called from upstairs.

"Ready?" Mike asked. Lucas and Dustin nodded as they all rushed up the stairs.

The boys piled into Nancy's car as she drove them to the dance.

A night to remember was about to occur. And not in the way one might think.