Dreams & Reality

"It's Perfect.." Rick mumbled as we slowed to a stop. My heart beat was pounding in my head from running around the fences. I gripped my bow slightly as I scanned the yard. They're were a lot of walkers, but nothing this group couldn't handle. "If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard we could pick off these walkers and we can take the field by tonight." I felt my body pump with adrenaline. "So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked. "I'll do it, you guys cover me." Glenn was instantly shut down by Maggie. "No, you, Maggie and Beth draw as many as you can over there. Pop em' through the fence. Daryl and Rose go back to the other tower. Carol you've become a pretty good shot, take your time we don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel You and Carl take this tower, and I'll run for the gate." Rick finished giving orders as everyone ran to their spots but me. "Like hell I'm letting you run for the gate alone, you've got a family. I'll cover you, Daryl doesn't need help." I smirked. Rick patted my shoulder, mumbling a thank you before getting himself ready. I readied myself before giving a slight nod towards Rick. Before I knew it there were tons of walkers on our tail. I shot a single corpse and loaded another arrow. Bullets flew by us as we weaved through the walkers, shooting the ones who were to close for comfort. I was about to shoot a walker when suddenly an arrow replaced it's eye. I sent a nod towards Daryl, making a mental note to thank him later. Rick shouted for cover as he closed the gate quickly, latching it for good measure. I pulled my bow over my shoulder and pulled out my gun and knife, stabbing walkers that were close. "This way!" I shouted over the gunshots. Rick opened the door, shooting the walker inside before slamming it closed behind me. I quickly ran up the stairs, my heartbeat pounding in my head. Suddenly white hot pain flashed threw my shoulder. When Rick and I reached the top of the tower, the whole group was gunning down the rest of the walkers in the yard. I continued to shoot walkers with Rick, noticing the pain in my shoulder was now throbbing. Finally the last corpse dropped to the ground, lifeless. A small smile stretched across my face, a laugh bubbling out from Rick and I. I patted him on the shoulder before risking a glance at my own. There was a small scratch from the stairway in the watch tower. I cursed under my breath, noticing my shirt was covered in blood from walkers and a small bit from myself. I was honestly to happy to really notice the pain as we ran down the stairs to meet up with the rest of the group. "We haven't had this much space since we left the farm!" I heard Carol yell. I felt like twirling in the open field. I saw Daryl sauntering up to meet us. He gave Rick a pat on the back before engulfing me in a hug. Laughter filled the air, really not noticing it was coming from me. "I'm glad your safe." he grumbled, kissing my forehead. The same butterflies filled my stomach as I kissed his cheek lightly.
~~~~~
I sat up in the watch tower, swinging my legs off the side. I couldn't help but watch as the group sat in peace, talking and relaxing. It was like none of us could really enjoy life on the run. We had a chance to now, Lori had a safe place for the baby and Carl had a safe place to grow up. It felt safe here, like the world outside was kept back from the high fences surrounding the prison. I scanned the yard, noticing Carol and Daryl talking on the bus. I had to admit, Carol and I were getting along quite well since the farm. A pang of jealousy kit my stomach when Daryl started massaging her shoulders but I brushed it off quickly. I felt distant from the group like I wasn't really family. I sighed and swung my legs in the air, focusing on the slight breeze. It was almost peaceful, without the walkers growling. I grabbed my brothers blanket and threw it around my shoulders, taking a deep breath of sea water. I carefully stood up and padded to the small area I cleared to sleep in the watch tower. It was impossible to get comfortable on the cold floor but I was too exhausted to care. I let my mind drift off into nothingness.
~~Dream~~
I stood at the Savannah dock, waiting for Hunter's ship to sail up. My nerves were on end while I stood with hundreds of other people. This will be the first time in 3 years that I would see him. He left on my 17th birthday, and now it will be my 20th in 2 weeks. I heard the familiar sound of a boat and felt a small smile creep its way onto my face. I completely ignored the crowd around me and focused on the ship that quickly docked, holding many excited soldiers back. The gates flung open and hundreds of men in uniform came rushed out, grabbing their families and twirling them around. I franticly searched the faces for my brothers, finding no luck. A terrible feeling hit the bottom of my stomach, making my heart race. Finally I caught familiar eyes, the same that matched mine. Before I knew it I was in full sprint, engulfing Hunter in a hug. My feet left the ground quickly, and falling back effortlessly again. "Wow, look at you all grown up." He smiled, pinching my sides. "Hunter.." I swatted his hands, laughing at his attempt of being brotherly. "Come on then." He yelled before running off. I sprinted after him, calling his name. We reached my beat up truck, hopping in and starting it up, only to have it stall. "I wish you'd let me buy you a new one, is this thing even safe?" He asked smirking at me. "I don't think so, but it gets me around." I laughed. I turned the key again, earning a rumble from my engine and kicking it to life. I silently cheered in my head and pulled out of the parking lot. "So where are you staying?" Hunter asked while fiddling with the radio. The same bad feeling settled into my stomach and I felt myself go ice cold. I was always so happy with my brother, but every time he brought me up in a conversation I went back to my ice cold self. "I have an apartment in Macon." I lied. He saw right through my lie but dropped the subject instantly. I was staying in a hotel, some place called Paradise. It was a run-down tiny motel at the side of the road where no one goes in Macon, Georgia. It was temporary. "Here, pull over to this place" he pointed to a small section of shops at the side of the road. I pulled into the parking lot, letting Hunter jump out and run into a hunting shop. I sighed, turning up the radio to Black Dog. As soon as the song ended, Hunter came back out carrying two boxes. He jumped back in the truck slamming the door behind him. I cringed at the loud noise but paid attention to him. "Here, open this up. Happy Birthday Sis," He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my forehead, handing me one of the boxes. I opened my box, gasping at the contents. A beautiful bowie knife was encased in the small box. It's handle was brand new wood, and the metal blade was perfectly shinned. My eye caught a line, which connected to another. The name 'Hunter' was engraved into the blade. I looked up at my brother, who was holding out the same knife but with 'Rose' neatly engraved in the blade. I couldn't think of words to describe how happy I was. "Well?" He asked me with a smirk. "They're perfect..." I mumbled, reaching over and giving my brother a hug. "Happy Birthday Sis..."
~End~
I woke up to someone poking at my cheek. I grumbled slightly and turned over, only to have my other cheek poked. I slowly turned back over and opened one eye to find Carl sitting cross legged, munching on dry cereal. "Carol told me to bring you this, we're gonna try to take the rest of the prison today." he passed me a small bowl of dry corn flakes. I took a few in my fingers and shoved them in my mouth, grateful for some food. I sat in front of Carl, matching his position. He started telling me about his comics, how one of the superhero is going to battle with his worst enemy, and he can't wait to read the rest. I straightened up my clothes as we finished our cereal and walked down to the field, meeting up with the rest of the group. Everyone but Rick and Daryl were sitting by a small fire, eating breakfast quickly. I grabbed a bowl and parted ways with Carl, sauntering over to a bus that was tipped over in front of the gates. Daryl paced on top, keeping watch. I placed the bowl on top and climbed up the side. I felt Daryl grab my wrist and pull me up, taking the weight off of me. "Were you here all night?" I asked, handing him a bowl. He nodded in response, grabbing a handful of cereal and shoving it into his mouth. "You up in the tower?" I nodded, putting my hands in my back pockets. I felt awkward, like I was bothering him or something. I just shoved it off and started walking to the edge of the bus. "Rose wait.." I felt Daryl tug on my arm slightly, giving me some sort of look I didn't understand. "Listen whatever happens today, just, please don't get hurt okay?" I muttered. I didn't want to admit I cared as much as I really did. I hadn't really noticed he didn't let go of my arm yet. I slowly slid my arm out of his grasp but stopped at my hand. I locked my fingers with his, slightly squeezing his hand. He nodded and let go of my hand, sliding off the bus. "Here," he called, holding his hands out in front of him. "Daryl I'm not jumping-" "Yeah you are now common woman I don't got all day." I shrugged slightly and pushed off of the bus. His arms caught around my waist, lowering me to the ground. I heard my knife clatter to the ground but I didn't pay attention to it. Daryl didn't move his hands from my waist, holding me in one stop. My breath shook with my heartbeat, sending chills down my arms. I leaned up and placed a small kiss on his lips. He held it longer than I thought before breaking apart and letting go of my waist. He reached down and grabbed my knife, examining the blade. "Hunter?" I nodded and stiffened up at the name. The dream I had last night wasn't helping. "My brother, it was a gift. He has the same knife but with my name on it" He gave my the knife and I tucked it into the sheath. I tugged on his jacket a bit before walking back to the group, Daryl catching up. We were all getting ready to open the gates. I walked up to the group, swinging my bow off my shoulders and notching an arrow. "Ready?" Hershal asked. Rick opened the gate quickly, stabbing the first walker in the head. I shot another corpse, swiftly reloading my bow to lodge an arrow in a dead's eye. I swung my bow over my shoulder and pulled my knife out, keeping my back to the rest of the group. Daryl and T-Dog stabbed more headed towards us. I blocked out the sounds from the group outside of the fences, focusing on the walkers. With one swift movement, I took out 2 corpses, stabbing one in the eye and stomping on the walkers head. Maggie stabbed a walker behind me and I muttered a quick thank you to her. We had now cleared half of the yard out. "Almost there!" Rick yelled to us. He slowly opened a door and checked around the corner, shoving us back quickly. There were tons of walkers just around the corner from us. The growls were so loud I could barley hear myself think. Suddenly 2 dead in full riot gear came around the corner, walking slowly towards us. "How the hell do we kill em'?" I whispered. All of our attempts were useless. Nothing would break their gear. "Daryl!!" I heard Rick yell before running into the group of walkers, slicing the first ones head. I quickly joined him, stabbing corpses in the head swiftly. My breathing hitched as I ran out of breath, fighting off more walkers. Rick locked the gate, stopping more from over flowing. Maggie fought off a riot walker, stabbing it through the bottom of the helmet. "Maggie your a genius!" I yelled before stabbing one in the chin. Finally the walkers were held off. "It looks secure.." "Not from the look of that court yard over there, and that's a civilian." Daryl and T-Dog were right, for all we know the prison could be filled with walkers. "What if there's walls down, we can't rebuild this whole place." I sighed listening to Glenn. "Can't risk a blind spot, we have to push in." Rick said as we headed into the prison. This was do or die. This was reality.