Chapter 30

XO- Eden

𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖛𝖊𝖓

The screen door swung shut gently behind me as I made my way across the porch, my bare feet padding silently towards the porch swing.

The late afternoon air was warm and sticky, promising rain.

I smiled up towards the sky as storm clouds began to shift, gathering together in a dark heap.

Thunder tumbled off in the distance, giving a warning of what was to come.

The sound of the door creaking open softly alerted me that someone else had stepped onto the porch, but I kept my eyes fixed on the sky, waiting for the first raindrop to fall.

The person began walking towards me, their steps stealthy and smooth, but much heavier than mine had been.

A large hand grabbed mine, wrapping their fingers around my folded hands.

I finally faced the person, and my eyes met golden irises of the man crouched before me.

"Mind if I join you?" August asked softly, his eyes melting into pools of honey as I studied his face.

I smiled softly at him, moving over slightly to give him room to sit.

He took my invitation, and moved to sit on the porch swing beside me.

I turned my attention back to the brewing storm, only remaining slightly distracted by August sitting beside me, his eyes on me.

"Staring is rude, you know," I joked, turning to meet his face.

"I can't help myself," He responded back, a humorous twinkle in his eyes, "With someone as beautiful as you, I can't help but to stare."

I rolled my eyes while I laughed to keep up my facade, but internally, his words made me melt.

I turned back towards the sky just as the first raindrops began to fall.

Leaning my head on August's shoulder, we quietly watched as the storm grew, breaking open the clouds with earth-shattering lightning strikes.

Yet even with the loud thunder and the tree bending wind that howled through my ears, I felt completely at peace for the first time in my life.

"So what now?" I asked, turning my face towards the love of my life.

"Anything."

*
*
*

Epilogue coming soon