epilogue

Malibu Nights- LANY

𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖛𝖊𝖓

I had never really believed there was much waiting for me in this life.

Maybe when I was younger, I had thought of all of the possibilities of what the world could be. I imagined myself as an astronaut, a ballerina, a doctor; as happy.

But my father's death had put a wrench in my far-fetched plans. It veered me completely off course, onto a path I never once imagined that I would go.

But maybe that was all supposed to happen.

Maybe the extensive tragedy of my life was meant to happen; meant to bring me into those woods that day all those months ago.

Fate had never been something that I could comprehend. I never even thought twice about it.

We are born. We live. We make decisions. We die.

Fate never really fit into that simple equation.

But maybe fate was the reason that I was sitting beside a man with amber eyes, parked in a car directly in front of my childhood home.

"I'm here for you," August spoke gently, rubbing his thumb along my hand that was held tightly in his.

I tilted my head to face him, giving him a soft smile.

"I know."

And with those simple words, I braced myself, and got out of the car.

August exited smoothly behind me, keeping a small distance as we neared the front door.

I knocked twice on the heavy oak door, then stood idly by.

When no answer came for several minutes, I turned to August, disappointment written across my face.

"She's probably not even here-"

I was cut off by the sound of the door creaking slowly open, a woman's eyes peeking from behind the crack in the door.

"Heaven?" My mother's baby blue eyes widened as she realized it was me.

"Hi, mom," I whispered, my voice cracking at the end.

She didn't waste another second, flinging the door open and bringing me into her frail arms.

She didn't smell of smoke or alcohol like she used to. Instead, the smell of rose perfume wafted from her, and I inhaled it deeply.

Her dark hair, similar to mine, was pulled into a neat bun at the nape of her neck, stay pieces framing her face.

She looked how she used to before the accident, before she fell apart.

"Oh, Heaven," She sniffled, pulling back slightly to look at my face, "I didn't think you'd ever come back."

"Me either," I whispered, "What happened to you?"

She laughed, looking down at the motherly attire she was wearing; a knitted cardigan and a pair of light jeans.

"It is different, isn't it?"

I nodded, then let her continue.

"Once I realized that you were gone, I knew that I was the reason. I drove you away. I guess that was the wake-up call I needed."

I smiled at that.

"I missed you, mom." I spoke, tears beginning to fall from my cheeks.

I wasn't speaking of the mother I had left all those months ago. No, I wished never to see her again. What I had missed was the mother I had when I was young. The one that baked me cookies and took me to the park. And now she was back.

"Come inside!" She spoke excitedly, ushering both August and I into the house.

I glanced back at August, who had a reassuring smile gracing his face.

I returned the smile fully, before turning back to follow my mother.

Perhaps fate really does have a way of working everything out.