Chapter 14

I woke up early the next day. The events of the day before seemed like nothing more than a bad dream however, I knew it was real. I stared blankly at my wall and tried to figure out a way to sort things between Me and Elijah's family, specifically his father.

I'm not sure what about the situation triggered him that bad but I do know that I don't want to see him right now. Yes, I shouldn't have taunted him and I shouldn't have tried to fight him either but what he said hurt deeper than I thought. I knew not everybody was going to be on board but he just took it to a whole new level by telling me to abort my baby.

Our baby.

My heart clenched painfully at the thought of Elijah's expression when I mentioned raising our child alone. Of course, I would never do that and I guess I was so angry at the situation that....I just said anything.

I'm a horrible person.

I shook my head and got started on my morning routine. I finished in forty-five minutes and checked the time.

7:50am. Nobody would be up for hours.

I went downstairs and grabbed a glass of water. Sitting down in the living room, I let my mind wander to yesterday and grimaced. No matter how many times I go through it, I can't seem to understand why it had to go that way. Why life just wasn't fair.

My mate was deathly afraid of my species which made him leave for a month and a half.

My parents ended up leaving too. If it wasn't for Nicky, I'd be completely alone.

Elijah and I had not one, but two physical fights.

I'm pregnant and beefing with my mate's family over said pregnancy.....yeah, the goddess just has a sick sense of fucking humor.

I sipped at the glass with shaky hands. My shoulder's suddenly felt way heavier and I could feel my mood plummeting six feet under. At this moment, I truly felt stressed and overwhelmed. My mood switched every five seconds but the overwhelming feeling of panic seemed to stick out more than the rest.

"Fuck this" I muttered "I'm out of here"

I grabbed my keys from my room and was out a second later. As my car roared to life, I relished the feeling of my leather seats against my back. It's been so long since I've driven my child; the last time being before Elijah left.

I took off down the street, not going in a particular direction, and just drove. I opened my window, loving the wind against my face, and blasted Could've Been, by Her.

I lost track of time and before I knew it, I was pulling up to a beach. It was completely deserted, save for a few fishermen on nearby boats. It was only ten am, meaning I've been driving for close to three hours. I'm surprised considering I only filled up my tank once throughout the whole drive.

I parked my car and left my keys under my bumper. I walked on the boardwalk towards the sand and sighed. Swimming in the actual ocean is a rarity for younger Mer's. Way back when it was forbidden to step foot or....tail into the ocean without consulting with the pod. Of course, time's change and the new council have become much more lenient with what we are and aren't allowed to do.

It's crazy how I was literally thrust into this lifestyle only four years ago but it feels like I've been learning and waiting for centuries. Santana seems to be much more comfortable and accepting of this than I am. She aced her initiation and was liked by everybody in the pod in an instant; then again she was always better than me at everything.

One would expect me to be jealous and at first, I was. We were twins for fuck sake! We mirrored each other almost perfectly but this whole Mer thing just had to go and ruin it. Our relationship thankfully didn't suffer and after a while, I stopped being bitter and felt happy for her, prideful even. That was MY sister out there winning at life