Chapter 19

"Kylie?" Elijah suggested, angling a pen and notepad. My legs were spread across his back and my belly was on full display because I got hot and tossed my shirt. He was in a similar position, propping himself by his elbows.

I shook my head. "Nah, I think of Jenner when I hear that name." He crossed it out and suggested another.

"Nyx?"

"Nope"

"Anastasia?"

"Oof that's a mouth full"

"Jamie?"

"Ha, you got that from Zoey 101"

"You caught me" He chuckled, shifting on his back. He ditched the pen and settled his other hand on my leg, sending goosebumps across my skin.

"You know, it's getting kind of late. Maybe we should head to bed? We got a long drive ahead of us tomorrow." I sighed, taking notice of the time. It wasn't even close to midnight but I have a feeling that falling asleep won't be so easy tonight.

He glanced at me and shrugged "Yeah maybe, Ariana?"

"Yuh" I imitated before cringing "Pass and I'm serious, I don't want to be all groggy in the morning."

"Frankly I don't want the morning to come." He mumbled, reaching up to pinch the bridge of his nose. I feel like we're being way to nonchalant about my impending fate but then again, none of this feels real to me.

Irresponsible thinking I know but it's the truth. It's like...I know it's coming and each decision has a 50% chance of happening but the gravity of it just hasn't hit me yet. I don't think it ever will at the rate we're going.

"Do you think they'll actually kill me?" I asked while staring at the ceiling. It's still white thankfully. My parent's actually let us convert the guest room into a nursery and since Nicky practically lives with Aiden, it's free real estate.

Come on, that was funny!

"No! Don't say that! They won't." Elijah stated. He pushed my legs off and scooted up beside me. I turned to my side and stared in his face.

"We can't ignore that possibility-"

"They. Won't." He repeated, a determined look working its way on his face. "They can't."

"They can and they will if they so choose." I shook my head again. "I can't believe this...I wanted to be apart of the pod so badly but I can kiss that dream goodbye."

"Well fuck them!" He growled, his teeth protruding from under his lip. "They would willingly execute a kid for one simple mistake!"

"A mistake that could have cost thousands of lives," I admitted. He looked shocked for a moment before I continued.

"I'm just saying...to them, It's sacrificing my life, to save everybody else's. Do you understand? My life for theirs. That's how they think." He took in my words but still didn't waver in his anger.

"The way I see it, they're already signing a death warrant by mentioning killing you. I swear to you Riley-" He placed both hands on my face and forced me to look in his eyes. Raw pain and determination swirled around them, clear as day.

"If you don't come back, I'll slaughter the entire race with my bare hands."

Maybe it was the rising heat that centered where his hands were placed or maybe it was the fact that he was deathly serious and didn't even care about losing his life that shut me up. Of course there were questions of  'How?' and 'Who?' but I knew no matter what answer I got, it wasn't going to be a good one.