iii. the persistent boss lady

STELLA
CHAPTER THREE
THE PERSISTENT BOSS LADY

MAX WAS NOT SURPRISED when she found Eleven and Estelle cuddled up on the blow-up mattress at nine am

MAX WAS NOT SURPRISED when she found Eleven and Estelle cuddled up on the blow-up mattress at nine am. She knew that El had taken a liking to the younger girl, just like Estelle had to her. Max was a little suspicious when she saw the faint glossy look of Eleven's bubblegum-tastic lip gloss on Estelle's head- but she didn't think much of it.

With a small smile on her lips, she got out of her bed and walked over to her record player- ready to wake her friends up. Grabbing her favourite record out of it's holder, she took it out of the sleeve and carefully put on the spindle- she began to play 'Come On Eileen' by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

The catchy bassline was the first thing that distracted a sleepy Estelle from Eleven's steady heartbeat against her ear. Estelle yawned as she woke up, laughing when she saw Max dancing around her bedroom.

"Come on! I've been up for ages, get up!" Max grabs a pillow from her bed and threw it at the two girls. Estelle laughs as it hits Eleven in the face, making her jump awake.

"What happened?" Eleven quickly sat up. Her breathing slowed and heart-rate slowed down when she saw Estelle's sleepy exterior. She looked very adorable... very pretty.

"What happened is you two spend way too much time cuddling and not enough time dancing with me!" Max chuckled, pulling Estelle up from off of the floor. Eleven giggled watching her two friends dance together, but a small wave of... something, washed over El once she realised that she and Max were holding hands, dancing very close to each other.

"Um... Estelle!" Eleven perked up, making Estelle and Max let go of one another, "You pick a song now,"

"But this one's not finished yet El," Estelle chuckled, giving Max a weird look.

"New song! New song!" Eleven chanted, Max laughed- nodding at Estelle, letting her know that she could change it.

"Woah," Estelle marvelled, "You have so many records!" Her collection was massive, ranging from Pat Benetar to Rick Springfield.

"Yeah, I got all of my dad's after my parents' divorce," Max nodded, "I think it was my dad's way of saying sorry or something? But on the bright-side, I now have the sickest collection in all of Hawkins,"

A smile washed over Estelle's face when her eyes landed on a familiar piece of album art, Cyndi Lauper, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. It was Estelle's all-time favourite song. She and her mother used to dance around the kitchen to it together when it first was released. It was Estelle's auditory pep-talk.

"I love this song!" Max exclaimed once the iconic beginning played throughout her bedroom.

"Me too! It's my favourite!" Estelle gawked over her and Max's shared love for the track. Eleven's heart dropped as she watched the two girls bond... that should be her!