Imagination

Ethan: 24
Grayson:23
Unrelated

Today was one of those days that Ethan and Grayson decided to stay in their shared home and have time to themselves, it's mostly been spent with friends and people they cared about, but it's never been those two alone. Grayson was currently sick at the moment, so Ethan knew that it was the perfect time to spend some alone time together, to watch movies and spend some time alone for once; Ethan knew that wasn't gonna happen though.

Most likely, there would be one of their friends at the door trying to come to see them, ever since Grayson got sick, people have been coming over nonstop. They would bring him his favorite flowers and give him food to eat, but Ethan wouldn't let them.. he was the only one allowed to take care of Grayson while he was sick... the only one. Ethan was now in their kitchen making dinner to serve Grayson when he woke up, it was going to be dinner and a movie in the comfort in their own home, something that every couple would want to enjoy.

This movie-night, in particular, would be special for both Ethan and Grayson, it was something they've been planning for a very long time ever since Grayson had to in the hospital for chemotherapy, it hurt Ethan so much to see his angel struggle, he could barely move his limbs from time to time and his hair fell out in chunks within weeks. The tear stains were still on Grayson's cheeks as he slept, the extreme pain got to him and he could barely move, so Ethan wanted him to rest.

Still making dinner, Ethan heard his phone buzzing in his back pocket and groaned in frustration, he saw that it was Grayson's sister and picked up the phone with a slight sigh, " What do you want, Amanda?" He questioned while continuing to make dinner, she didn't really say a word, she just sighed in disappointment,

"Am I allowed to see him?" She deadpanned as she spoke on the phone, "No, he needs his rest, he got done with chemo not long ago and he doesn't need everyone bombarding in his life right now" He said as a slight sigh escaped from his lips. Grayson's sister wasn't having any of Ethan's attitude today, she wanted to see her baby brother, why couldn't she see him.

"Look, Ethan, I know you want to take care of him in all and you want what's best for him, but you need to understand that there are other people who want to be there for him too. I know he loves you and you love him, but separating him from his family and friends is just a way of showing you want him for yourself" she replied before continuing, "None of us know what could actually happen to him in a few weeks, what if the chemo doesn't work a-and" she stutters almost tearing up.

"F-fine, I'll let you and a few others see him tomorrow, I know you guys are worried about him but I'm here too, I wanna be the one who's mostly taking care of him; I am his husband after all" Ethan replied with a relieving sigh. The two talked for a little longer and they talked about something special for Grayson, he's always wanted to travel, but he never could due to his treatments; He was finally getting what he wanted.

Ethan then hung up the phone and put it in his pocket while finishing up his and Grayson's dinner, the aroma of the food filled the air as Ethan was satisfied and a smile formed upon his face, Grayson was going to love it.. hopefully. After making a few finishing touches, Ethan went upstairs to his and Grayson's shared bedroom and sat the food next to Grayson's nightstand, he sat down on the bed next to Grayson and laid next to him while holding him tightly in his arms with a smile on his face.

Grayson's eyes opened slightly and smiled a bit as his husband's presence was around him, the warmth that Ethan gave him put a smile on his face, but he knew that he didn't have much longer to live. Grayson has been keeping a secret from Ethan ever since his chemo was over, the doctor told him that he only had three weeks to spend time with his family and husband before the chemo couldn't help him anymore.

In Grayson's mindset, he wanted to die. The unbearable pain he had to feel in his stomach and throwing up all the time,  he wishes that he didn't get chemo at all. The thoughts of leaving his family and husband drilled through his head when he heard he would be living for another three weeks, he didn't want to leave them, he didn't want to make them cry... but it's a battle between him and his cancer, but cancer's winning.

Stepping out of his thoughts, Grayson smiled at his husband widely and placed a soft kiss on his temple, Ethan giggled at his husband's touch, he loved him so much and would do anything for him... but he wouldn't want to let him go. "H-Hey" Grayson stuttered as he lifted his arm to cup Ethan's cheek, "Hi, My love" Ethan replied while placing a kiss on Grayson's forehead.

The two were deeply in love with one another, the devotion that they felt for each other seemed like a spark that wouldn't go away, the flame that kept them together ignited and it drew them closer and closer together... until the flame started to burn out. Grayson wanted this day to be about him and Ethan, to spend time with one another before it was too late, what Ethan didn't know what would happen to Grayson wouldn't hurt him...right?.

As the two laid together with their hands intertwined, a thought-filled one of their heads, There was.. a tomb, with red roses and daisies sitting in the middle of it. 'Here lies' it said as the individual having the dream read, the rest was a blur and couldn't be seen, but there was another tomb next to the one with roses and daisy's, this one had hydrangeas on both sides; 'Here lies.." it read as the individual looking at it had seen.

The distinct lines of 'Here lies'  on the two tombstones meant that two individuals had passed away, but the lines weren't clear enough. The question was.. who did these tombstones belong to and why were they next to each other?

"Gray, wake up," Ethan's soft voice said as he touched his husband gently, Grayson opened his eyes to see his husband wearing all white with fluffy angel wings on his back, the light in his eyes brought Grayson joy and he smiled as he saw that he had the same thing. " Were you imagining us in bed together and you still had your cancer?" Ethan asked curiously while laying next to him, Grayson slightly nodded and tears were at the brims of his eyelids, Ethan pulled him in for a tight hug and rocked him back and forth, "it's okay.. don't cry" he said while placing a kiss on Grayson's temple before continuing,

"Your imagination isn't always in a good place, but look on the bright side of things, you have me, you don't have cancer anymore, you get to enjoy this paradise" He continued while placing his forehead on Grayson's.

Now you may be wondering, how did both of them die? Well as you saw, Grayson was sick in bed with cancer and he only had three weeks to live, he and Ethan traveled for three weeks and he died in the hospital after things started to fail in his body. Ethan, on the other hand, died of a broken heart, when he saw Grayson in the hospital bed with a no beating heart, his heart shattered.

'Here lies Grayson Bailey Dolan, Husband, Friend, brother, traveler, and sweetheart'

'Here lies Ethan Grant Dolan, Husband, friend, brother, sweetheart, and lover'

This one-shot makes no sense but I wanted to put something out...