Day 1

"Ron." Harry says, stopping in the middle of the staircase, "NO matter how many times you beg I will not ask Hermione out for you. That is something you have to do on your own."

"But Harry!"

"NO BUTS!" Harry turns and steps off the stairs. As soon as he does, the staircase moves with Ron still on it.

"Harry!"

"Serves you right, with the way you treat girls."

Ron ended up stuck there for half an hour, almost missing dinner. When he finally got there, it seemed he was not the only one who'd had trouble. The great hall was abuzz with talk of the trapping staircases. Some people were even thinking about carrying their brooms shrunk in their pockets, in case they were next.

Dumbledore calls for attention and the hall quiets down.

"As some of you have noticed, the staircases have been moving strangely, trapping people on them. There is nothing to fear. This school is a place over loaded with magic. This eventually gave Hogwarts a personality, and she has mood swings every few hundred years when the magic is especially high." Many people glanced at Harry. "This would be one of those times. Now, all you have to do is to stay on her good side and be nice to everyone. Even a glare could set her off." The eyes gathered on the Slytherin table. "She has never caused any permanent damage, so you are all safe." He paused, letting them all take it in.

"There is also a legend that goes with Hogwarts' mood swings. She can tap into people and find their soul mate, or mates; if, they reside in her boundaries. Her favorite pastime is getting those people together. That is all."

Dumbledore sits down, waiting for the noise to break out. One, two, three ... thirteen, fourteen ... eighteen and the hall explodes with whispers. 'Impressive', he thought, 'a new record, twelve seconds had been the longest recorded silence after that speech was given previously. It would seem this year, the students actually thought about it first. This should be interesting'

After dinner, the trio walked back to the Gryffindor common room. Going up the last flight of stairs they stop.

"Harry?" Hermione asks tensely. "Did you feel that?"

"Yeah, what about you Ron?"

"That was weird. It felt like something looked inside me or something, you don't think..." He stopped, looking around nervously at the walls around them; nothing.

"Let's get inside." Harry quietly stated.

With a nod from each of them, they ran the rest of the way to the common room. Safe inside, sitting by the fireplace, the Hermione train takes off.

"You don't think that was her? Oh, if it was! I wonder who she found as my soul mate! I hope I have one. But Dumbledore mentioned you could have mates. What if I have two? This is just too much!"

"Breathe Hermione." Ron says, breaking the stream of words.

"Yes, breathing is a vital part of life," Harry adds with a smirk.

"Oh my-"

"-How very-"

"-Slytherin-"

"-of our–"

"-golden boy."

The twins stood behind Harry's chair, one talking in each ear.

"Wow. Surround sound." Harry says with a laugh.