Chapter 13

They started with shooting practice.

When the townhouse was renovated after Z.O.M.B.I.E.S. was founded, the place was made into a fortress. Zed's childhood home was transformed into safe house with onsite training facilities for any agents who needed sanctuary, which didn't happen often.

To accommodate for extra training space, a sub-basement had been added. Not only did it give opportunity for more space but sound proofing as well. This level was solely meant for the shooting range.

Bonzo set up the targets while Zed and Eliza showed off the impressive selection available to them. Addison giddily examines each piece.

"No, fucking, way! You have the Canadian Military 3-in-1 semi auto, shotgun, grenade launcher attachment combo?!" She beamed up at Zed, her eyes sparkling with excitement from the rare find. "I've always wanted to try one of these babies out! Can I? Please?" She begged with folded hands and pouted lip. Zed chuckled, smiling at her fondly.

"If you like it so much, it's yours Baby." He assured her, earning a gasp of sheer joy before she nearly tackled him with a hug around the neck.

Bucky was not amused.

"Don't get too excited. We're not wasting time on anything other than pistols." He commanded, picking up a handgun off the table and cocking the bolt handle to load a round into the chamber.

While Eliza and Zed exchanged a look of irritation, Addison sighed because (of course) her bossy cousin was right. Pistols would be the only guns they'd be able to conceal and sneak into the gala. Zed didn't miss the disappointment in her eyes as she grabbed her own weapon. He gently grabbed her arm to hold her back as he turned to Eliza.

"You guys go ahead and get started. We'll be right there." He said. Eliza rolled her eyes with a groan.

"You're leaving me with the dictator. I see how it is." She complained but didn't necessarily argue as she grabbed a gun and made her way to the others.

"What is it Zed? Is something wrong?" She asks in concern. He took a step closer and gingerly pulled her in by the hip with an affectionate smile gracing his lips.

"You think I don't notice when my girlfriend's upset?" He teased. She smiled sadly and hugged around his torso for comfort.

"I just, I know this is time to get serious, but," she paused, the other's gunfire at the targets filling the void of her silence, "I was excited to have some fun with you." Her admission made him soften and squeeze her a little tighter.

"We'll have plenty of time to have fun once all this is over." He assured. She averted her gaze from his smiling face, resting her cheek to his chest.

"I hope you're right." She muttered to herself.

He kissed the top of her head before releasing his hold on her, grabbing his well loved Maxim 9. Addison grabbed one of the same model but looked much newer.

"Shouldn't you get a replacement for that thing?" She questioned. Zed let out a sarcastic laugh.

"No way! I've had this since my first hit. It's my favorite! This puppy has never let me down!" He said, kissing the side of the pistol for good measure. Addison made a choking noise as the laugh came out in coughs.

"You better knock on some wood or something before you jinx yourself!" She poked fun as they rejoined their friends. Zed just gave her a halfhearted pout as he knocked on the wooden table they had in front of them.

"Happy?"

"Very!" She laughed harder.

"Addison!" Bucky shouted, making her jump. "Stop goofing off and get to training!" Zed gritted his teeth and glared at the dark haired man.