5 | "takes one to know one."

Luke passes by me without so much as a second glance, so I find it safe to assume he doesn't notice me

Luke passes by me without so much as a second glance, so I find it safe to assume he doesn't notice me. Which I'm grateful for, because I don't think I've ever hated someone so much from only one encounter as I do Luke Bradford. He's nothing but a douche in expensive clothing, and I'd rather not have to deal with him at the moment. Or any moment, if I can help it.

However, before Luke has managed to walk a comfortable distance away from me, something totally unexpected happens. Emma looks up just as Luke passes us, a wide grin overtaking her features. Before Luke walks off any further, Emma takes a step away from me and Piper and cries, "Seriously, Luke? We don't even get a hi?"

I watch the scene playing out before me in confusion, unsure of what's going on. Luke turns around at the sound of Emma's voice, facing me and the girls. Thankfully, Piper's stance blocks me from view for the most part, and I doubt Luke has had time to spot me.

I'm in shock when I notice Luke offering Emma a genuine smile, as all I've previously seen Luke sport is a scowl or smirk. He walks a few steps toward her, mumbling, "Sorry. I guess I didn't see you guys. Hey, Pipes."

"Hey, Luke," Piper greets casually with a smile of her own directed toward Luke. That's when it hits me. I have seemingly just made friends with two girls that are also apparently friends of Luke's. As in, I'm now part of Luke's friend group. As if being next-door-neighbors and having our father's as business partners wasn't enough . . .

"Oh, I almost forgot!" Emma exclaims, sounding excited. I squeeze my eyes close and try my best to remain hidden by Piper, certain as to what will come next. "You have to meet our new friend, Ja—"

Before Emma even gets my name out, Piper steps aside so as to stop concealing me from sight. Luke's easygoing expression instantly morphs into one of disgust the second his eyes meet mine, and I'm sure the look on my face is a mirror image.

"You?" Luke and I somehow manage to hiss in unison as we glare at one another. I can't seem to get over the fact that out of the hundreds of students I could have befriended, I just had to meet two girls that are also friends with Luke. And I actually like them.

"You two have already met?" Emma questions, glancing between Luke and I with a brow raised in curiosity. She seems unsure of whether she should acknowledge the death stares Luke and I are exchanging or if she's supposed to pretend everything is just dandy.

"Sure," Luke admits with mock nonchalance, shrugging with a shoulder as he continues to glare at me in hatred. "If 'met' means being nearly trampled as Clumsy over here runs into me after falling down her own stairs."

I can feel my stare deepening as annoyance seeps into my chest. I've never been the kind of girl to hold her tongue, or to let anyone mistreat her. I was born with a kind of fire that never really goes out, just sort of fades when it isn't in use. But that fire of anger flames brightly in my chest now, and I don't bother trying to tame it.