28 | "i'm ready."

It doesn't take long to get home

It doesn't take long to get home. I step out of the car after thanking William for the ride, telling him to go ahead and take off the rest of the night. I'm hit with a rush of cold air the second my sneaker-clad foot hits the driveway, my breath clouding in the inky dark sky.

The neighborhood street lights brighten the area around me, though not much. I can see the stars twinkling above me as I look up, a million little dots that spread on forever in an infinite sea of light.

Across the street, Luke Bradford makes his way down his driveway, wrapped in a black jacket as he heads for his mailbox.

The second I see him, I'm on the move. I walk down the street with purpose, holding my jacket to my chest tightly. Luke glances up after closing his mailbox, a few envelopes in hand. He hasn't seemed to notice me yet. By chance, he tilts his head slightly, spotting me out of the corner of his eye.

Before I know it, the boy with the cold eyes is facing me, lips parting to ask some sort of question. Only, he doesn't get the chance. The moment I reach him, I don't hesitate or think. I simply wrap my arms around his neck and pull him toward me, lips meeting his and capturing him in a passionate kiss.

For a moment, Luke stands before me as stiff as a statue. The next thing I know, he's dropped the envelopes in his hands, letting them fall to the ground as he grips my waist, pulling me into him. I lose myself in him the same way I get lost in his eyes. I drown in Luke's warmth and lips, succumb to his embrace, giving him all that I am. I've finally realized the truth. The boy I once found to be a mystery I would never be able to solve was never really all that hard to read. I just wasn't searching hard enough. It wasn't Luke who wouldn't let me into his heart, it was the other way around. It'd never been Luke who wasn't ready for us to be together. It had been me, too afraid to admit that the same boy who drove me crazy was the same boy to make my heart race.

I've been lying to myself for much too long now. I'm finally ready for the truth.

I tear apart from Luke, inhaling a sharp breath as I rest my forehead against his, raising my eyes to his blue irises. I notice that his icy eyes seem to have completely melted, warm just for me.

"I'm ready," I whisper against Luke's lips. "I want you. I'm yours."

Luke's grin is undeniable, the biggest I've ever seen him wear. He wraps his arms around my waist tightly, kissing me once more. Even when he pulls away, I'm left breathless.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to hear you say that," he whispers against my skin.

I cup his face in my hands, kissing him once more. It seems as though I can't get enough of him, wanting to close the space between us entirely.

A cry of surprise escapes me as Luke leans me over toward the ground, as if we've been dancing and he's managed to pull off some effortless dip. He smirks down at me, causing my entire face to radiate with heat despite the cold air. Leaning over me, my hair cascading over my shoulders, Luke take my hand in his, pressing a kiss to the back of my palm. He then releases his grip, my breath hitching as Luke whispers to me, "Now, we can do this." Then his lips meet mine all over again.