8

Michael shook his head, "It's fine. I just hate family events." He tugged his tie so it was loose, and then unbuttoned his collar.

"Why, don't you know them all already?"

Michael shrugged, "I just hate crowds. I also dislike small talk and most of my family's friends. I just had to make an appearance for this one. Oh...sorry." Michael let go of my hand and I shrugged.

"That's alright, glad I can help."

I stretched out my leg raising my hand to take in what little of the sun there was, "I used to hate crowds too." I told him.

"Really. But you're like a genie."

"Yeah I know," I told him, "But sometimes I always worry someone else in the crowd will know, or realise that I'm not human. Everything from the way you eat, to touch to smell can tell you a lot about a person, or a no person in this case. I almost thought your mum knew inside but I think she was just being curious."

Michael shrugged, "She wouldn't know. She's just very judgemental about everyone and everything. Probably why I never dated anyone cause they would never be good enough for her. I don't want to put someone through that, well someone human and more sensitive through meeting her."

Just as I was about to point out that we, genies, were also sensitive someone blocked the sun out of my face and I looked up at a familiar face. She smiled at Michael, flicking her curls over her shoulder.

"Hi Michael. How are you?" Hiedi looked at me, and then at Michael.

Michael got tense again, "Uh hey, how are you?"

"Great. I thought I was going to hear from you after our little date." she put the emphasis on the word.

"Sorry I got busy and stuff." Michael ran a hand through his hair casting a look at me, "This is Shana by the way," he said.

I stuck out my hand, "Nice to meet you" again, I added in my head. Heidi looked at my hand, ignoring it and running her eyes over me. I let my hand drop, I guess she didn't like me.

"So did you want to get a drink or something after this party back at mine?" Heidi asked.

"Sorry I'm a bit busy I don't think I can." Michael politely declined.

"Oh come on, just one drink," Heidi smiled placing a hand on his shoulder. Was I meant to do something as the fake girlfriend at this point? I looked at Michael for some sort of validation, yet there was none.

He seemed once again unsure what to do. I smiled standing up, "Look honey, thank you but no thank you. Perhaps you should ask one of the other single men around here for a drink." I reached down grabbing Michael hand and gave him a tug, "Let's go babe."

Michael followed me like a lost cat, "Babe?" He asked once we were out of earshot.

"I picked it up from that movie, was it good. Did I do well?"

"Well better than me. I forgot she was going to be here." Michael ran a hand through his hair, "God I suck at these events.

Realising I was till holding his hand I let go as we walked further into their massive garden. His mother had all type of flowers, some i recognised and some I didn't.

"That's alright. Do you want me to get you another drink?"

Michael shook his head sitting down on another bench, "I just wish this party would wrap up already."

I nodded, "No worri-," before I could finish my sentence Michael quickly stood up, "No no, that is not a wish."

Damn it. so close