Chapter 11 - Good News

I don't really feel like writing but the next time I'll have time to sit down with my laptop would be Friday...

Going to stomp over my writer's block so I apologize if the writing is worse than the last chapters.

(I wrote this on Sunday lol)

———————-

From far away, Aki could sense someone familiar was already in the training ground. In slight anticipation, Aki unconsciously sped up until she was practically jogging. True to her assumptions, there was someone there. And it was Shisui.

He had his back towards her and was oddly enough, still in mission gear. Aki immediately read the dark atmosphere Shisui was submerged in and hesitantly closed the remaining space between them.

"Shisui-san?" Aki felt she should alert him of her presence if he didn't already notice.

Turning slightly to face Aki, Shisui wore a smile. It was strained as if forced and the dark circles underneath his eyes were prominent. His entire demeanor screamed tired and the faraway look in his eyes indicated the severity of his previous mission.

"Ah, Aki-chan it's been a while. Did you miss me that much you gave in to addressing me by my first name?" Shisui said slowly ruffling Aki's neat hair, messing it up again.

Aki swatted his hand away with a scowl.

"Why are you in mission gear?" she asked.

"Mah, Aki-chan why are you asking the hard questions from the start?" Shisui groaned, a little light coming back to his eyes.

"You don't have to answer." Aki softly said as she grew a bit annoyed at her insensitivity.

Shisui looked down at Aki with affection and sat down patting the grass next to him.

"Sit. Let's talk today, I'm too tired to train." He said simply.

Aki couldn't help but feel slightly tense because of the heavy atmosphere but sat down anyway. She missed him no matter how many times she denied it and it would do good to chat a bit.

A few minutes past, as they just sat down enjoying the nature surrounding them, or it could just have been Aki.

Shisui broke the silence first.

"What does being a shinobi mean?" It was spoken as if he was asking himself.

"To protect. To survive." Aki replied simply.

Shisui looked at her questionably.

"To survive? You don't have to be a shinobi to survive Aki-chan. I think it would actually lower your chances to survive."

Aki didn't turn to look at Shisui but kept staring at the trees beyond the field. It only seems sensible to become a ninja now that I'm in this universe. Not only to mention future attacks that will kill thousands of people. You wouldn't know Shisui-san but at least a shinobi can save themselves somewhat.

"What does it mean to you Shisui-san?" Aki directed the question to its owner.

Shisui knew Aki was refusing to answer and from long observation knew not to pry.

"...self-sacrifice. I don't want to be a famous ninja, rather a nameless shinobi who protects the peace of the village within its shadows... That is what shinobi is.."

That sounds like Root or Anbu to me. Is it not long before he joins?

Aki couldn't help her anxious thoughts from being set loose once more. She carefully looked at Shisui and from the close distance saw the deep-seated weary in his body.