Chapter 16 - Due Date

I apologize, my definition of 'soon' is well... yeah.

As an excuse (I don't think it works) I had college applications again.

---------------------------

[A Few Months Later]

Aki couldn't help but grow more anxious as she glanced at her mother's swollen belly. It was almost time for her little brother's arrival and honestly, it scared her to death.

"Aki-chan, I know you love me but you've been staring at me for the past 10 minutes!" Kana chided.

"Ah, it's because you're so beautiful, Kana-chan!"

"Oh, Higeki-kun! Stop it."

Aki switched to staring at her father in exasperation.

Ew. I better leave before anything I DO NOT want to see happens. Again.

Standing up from her seat at the table, Aki swiftly piled her share of the dirty dishes in front of her and brought them to the kitchen sink.

"Mother, don't wash the dishes, make dad do it for you, okay?" Aki said.

"Aki-chan! How about you?" Aki's father whined.

"I did all the dishes yesterday. It's your turn."

She heard a light slap from her mother.

"Ow!"

"Higeki-kun, you said you did the dishes yesterday!"

Chuckling at her parents antics, Aki went up to her room to brush her teeth, quickly getting ready to leave for training with Shisui.

"Come back before dark!"

"Hai."

It was another bright morning in Konoha. Not much different than yesterday with the repetitive routine Aki kept up over the years. The only thing that had changed was the cheerful atmosphere and loss of tense shoulders within the village. With the war officially over and a new hokage, Konoha's fire was blazing stronger than ever.

Checking the sharpness of her weapons, Aki patiently waited for Shisui to arrive to their training field. She would wait 5 more minutes, and any longer would be safe to assume the jerk left for a mission without alerting her.

"Kiki!"

Aki rolled her eyes at the annoying nickname Shisui had come up with and faced the direction of the noise.

"Sushi. You have company."

"Mah, Aki don't call me by that name! It's not cute!"

Looking absolutely ecstatic (hint sarcasm), Itachi stood next to Shisui with a face that read annoyed.

"Itachi."

"Aki."

"Why are you here-"

"Wait!!! Kiki!!!! You know Itachi-chan?! When? Where? How? I thought I was your only loyal friend!!"

Ignoring the loud whine coming from the teen, Itachi and Aki continued their conversation as if no one had interrupted it in the first place.

"Unfortunately, I have been dragged here by my cousin to train with him."

"Oh, you guys are related?"

"Sadly."

"Ah, my apologies."

"Hn."

"Did Fugaku-san allow you to train with him?"

"Yes, although I do not know why. Do you train with him?"