- fine - mw

this is set during season three, episode eight: the battle of starcourt.

summary; y/n keeps getting asked the same question over and over again, and mike's had enough of it.

word count: 780

(billy, hopper and alexei are alive in this imagine)

. . .

"keep still." robin mutters to the young girl.

robin continues to wrap the bandage around y/n's thigh.

"there you go. all done, hun." robin brushes a lock of y/n's h/c hair out of her eyes.

"thank you, robin." y/n smiles weakly at the buckley girl.

"you're welcome, but may i ask, are you alright?" robin inquires.

y/n had been dreading this question for hours.

of course she's not alright. she had just been kidnapped by a flayed billy, forced to see her father get possesed and her mother and sister viguriously shake until they exploded, along with about fifty other strangers, including children younger than her. in her attempt to escape before she saw anything more scarring, billy had full on attacked her. cuts and bruises littered her fragile body. but luckily, there was a small glare of light in the sea of darkness. el and the gang came and saved her from her tragic end. but overall, y/n was far from fine.

"that's a very good question," steve made his way over to the two. "are you?"

y/n didn't know what to do or what to say. would she lie and say she was fine? or would she be honest and say no, with the chance of worrying them even more?

"i'll be fine," y/n settled on. "eventually."

it wasn't a complete lie, but it also wasn't the complete truth.

"good, we should go check in with dustin and erica, see how they're holding up." steve responded, getting in the todfather and driving away.

"great." y/n sighed.

"y/n!" a voice called.

"hey, lucas. hey, max." y/n muttered.

"how are you holding up?" max asks.

lucas nods in agreement, obviously wanting to hear the answer.

"alright, how about you two?" y/n shrugs.

"we're alive-" max begins.

lucas nudges max in the ribs.

"we're all good." lucas eyes his girlfriend.

"we should check in with joyce. get better, y/n/n." max smiles joyfully, before turning around and linking arms with lucas.

as time went on, y/n became more and more tired with people approaching her and asking if she's okay. obviously she's not. the hollaway girl just lost her sister and parents, her family. she felt empty without them.

y/n looks down, tears building up in her eyes as she hears footsteps approaching her once again.

"i said that i'm-" the familiar voice cuts y/n off.

"you're not doing okay, and i know that, y/n/n."

y/n slowly looks back up, it's her ex-boyfriend, mike wheeler.

it pained him to see y/n in this state. glassy eyes, cuts and bruises across her body. she looked damaged.

she looked broken.

y/n didn't respond to his statement, maybe it was because he's her ex, or maybe because he was spot on. y/n really didn't know.

mike sat down next to y/n in the back of the ambulance, inching his hand towards hers.

"i'm not going to talk about what happened today, but remember, i'm always here for you. okay?" mike pulls her into his embrace.

"okay." y/n nods into his chest.

"i'm sorry that i lied to you, you probably hate me now," mike scoffs. "i would hate me."

"i could never hate you, michael." y/n plays with his pale fingers subconsciously. "never."

"you can stay with me. my mom will be more than happy to have you." mike strokes the top of the young girl's head, flattening out her slightly messy hair.

"are you sure? i don't want to be a burden." y/n sighs.

"you're not a burden, y/n." he lifts her head up as she looks into his dark brown eyes. "just pretend that it's a sleepover that lasts as long as we want."

a small smile finds its way onto her face.

a real smile, not one for show.

"that would last forever then." mike's hand is gripped tightly onto y/n's.

"lets do that then," y/n looks up at him in confusion. "when we're eighteen, we'll get a house together. endless sleepovers."

"that sounds like the dream." y/n closes her eyes as mike rocks her back and forth.

"is she okay?" el asks, approaching the two.

"fuck off, eleven-" mike growls.

"i'm fine, el. thanks for asking."

for once, she wasn't lying, she honestly felt just fine.