camp

a/n:

sorry ive been doing so many author's notes lately!! it just occurred to me while i was writing this one that i never posted the cover art without the text on it!

let me know if you guys would like to see some of the other concept art i've done, i.e. how i imagine y/n's clothes, sheikah slate, etc. ;;w;;

♡♡♡

The added weight of their soaked clothing and gear began to slow Epona down, and Link cursed. He hated to push Epona out of her comfort zone, and already carrying two passengers was a lot. But, they had to keep moving.

Link squinted past the heavy rainfall, searching desperately for some sort of shelter. There wasn't much to be had out here, as guardian carcasses were the only thing on the field at all. His heart rate was increasing, as he knew the lightning would seek them out as its best conduit, considering how much metal they had between the two of them and Epona.

As if the Goddesses heard his prayers, though, Link spotted an overhang in the distance. He didn't hesitate to snap Epona's reigns, begging to whatever forces were listening that they would make it out of the rain in time as electricity buzzed above them.

The seconds felt as though it were passing in slow motion. He could hear the metal beginning to spark, feel the buzz as the electricity sought them out like a target. Link tightened his grip on [y/n], eyes squeezed shut as Epona ran.

Just as they came under the shelter of the overhang, the lightning cracked like a whip, decimating a nearby tree that it had chosen as it's target. A shaky breath left [y/n], and Link swallowed roughly, staring at the smoldering bark from their safe haven and keeping his hold on her.

"Did we.... Almost just..." [y/n] whispered, and Link could only nod in response, taking one of her trembling hands into his own. She seemed shell shocked as she stared out at the tree, while Link finally lowered himself down off of Epona. His hold was careful but firm as he helped her down as well, trying to steady the beating of his heart.

"I'm sorry," Link murmured, trying to look around the shelter to keep from showing her his shame, and [y/n]'s head whipped around to look at him with a shocked expression.

"What? For what? It's not your fault that there's lightn—" As he looked around, motion behind them caught his eye. Link pressed his fingers to her lips, cutting her off to keep her quiet. She looked at him, confused, but followed where his vision fell. A Fire Wizzrobe bounced near the waterfall behind them, not yet having noticed their presence.

Link reached behind himself to grab his bow, but [y/n] beat him to it as she grabbed her own off from Epona's pack. He didn't even have a chance to try and stop her before she was nocking an arrow and letting it fly, hitting the Wizzrobe square between the eyes. The knight looked at the place where the Wizzrobe had disappeared from, and [y/n] let out a shaky sigh.

[Y/n] didn't seem to catch on to his shock, and flashed him a grateful smile. "You don't need to apologize. You got us here before that lightning could strike. I should be apologizing for weighing you down," she whispered, and Link frowned as he noticed the way she was trembling; the cold seemed to be affecting her. Or, maybe it was still the adrenaline from almost getting torn apart by lighting. "Besides—I told you I could handle monsters now! So consider us even."

"It was still risky, though. And—so was that," Link berated, gesturing to the direction the Wizzrobe had been bouncing at. "I'm supposed to be keeping you safe, not leaving you to fend for yourself or dragging you out into thunderstorms..."

The girl scoffed, hitting Link in the arm gently. "I can fend for myself, though. A little rain and a monster here or there isn't gonna kill me..."  She was trying to be lighthearted, but Link could tell that despite what she was saying, the wet clothing sticking to her was doing more harm than good. The adrenaline from that little Wizzrobe encounter likely wasn't helping, either, and Link frowned. Never a moment to rest.