stones

"I wanted to show you something."

The comforting voice of your mentor enveloped you as you moved up the mountain pass, trailing behind her. A warm breeze wafted between the high cliffs, and as you walked, you passed underneath two archways decorated with talismans.

"Here," Impa spoke, and you came to stand beside her, looking for what it was that she wanted to show you.

A noise of awe escaped you as you studied the scene before you—stones had been laid down to mark the future location of buildings, with several workers carrying large cuts of lumber to a pile near the edge. Looking over the landscape, a smile found its way to your face.

Impa placed a hand on your shoulder, and you turned your head up to look at her as she offered you a small, pleased smile. "This will be Kakariko Village. Our ancestors have long since guarded sacred land here, and I believe it is time to properly establish our home. But, come. While we are here, I wish to teach you something."

Your mentor gestured for you to follow her, and you felt your eyebrows lift in curiosity as you traipsed behind her. It wasn't uncommon for her to take every opportunity possible to teach you—after all, you were meant to be her right hand. It would be essential for you to know as much as possible to better perform the function of your duties.

She walked you through the path of the village, which was still so new that it was barely discernible from the rest of the grass. Finally, you came to a stop on a little lookout point. Impa crouched beside a single stone that stood there, near the edge of the cliff, and gestured you over.

You came to stand beside her crouched form, peering with interest over her shoulder. It seemed to be just an ordinary stone, what was there to be learned from it? Though, you tried to dispel any doubt from your mind—she had often taught you that things were not always as they seemed.

"I know we have passed by many stones like this in the past. You may recognize it. They are markers from previous generations, and a tradition we continue. They were taught to me as 'Gossip Stones.' Here, let me show you why they have been named such..."

Impa then raised some of the smaller stones that lay at the base of the Gossip Stone. You hadn't noticed them initially, but as she raised it, turning it over in her hand, Impa looked back at you with a sort of coy smile.

"There is nothing written here yet, but, typically, predecessors, or travelers who are privy to these stones, will leave hints, or rumors etched into these. It is also common to use the bottoms of the offering plates on certain markers, or, even to leave a jar with the message inside. If you are ever in the world, and you are feeling lost, know that you are walking where your ancestors have been. They will leave you the key when you cannot find it, as long as you remember this one place to look.

"Do not forget them—the Gossip Stones."

♡♡♡

As you came back to your surroundings, you couldn't help but grimace, pressing the heel of your palm against your forehead. Your free hand reached out to lean against the stone for support, and you tried your best to ignore the nauseous swirling in your stomach.

It felt as though you had been slingshotted from one time to the next. The feeling of having your conscience completely taken over was jarring, to say the least.

Several moments passed as you regained your composure before you allowed yourself to kneel down, eyebrows knit together in curiosity as you rifled around the base of the stone. The grass was overgrown here, and it was difficult to see much at all. You were beginning to doubt whether there was anything there at all.