{9} I CARE ABOUT YOU

On Tuesday morning, Isabelle walked to her locker, feeling exhausted. By the time everyone was done at the hospital the night before, it was nearly three in the morning, and even then, none of them could fall asleep. She had spent a majority of the night calling Scott and making sure he was still alive. He may or may not have blocked her at some point, she wasn't sure.

Now, she was yawning loudly at her locker as she tossed a few books in her backpack. Her face fell when she saw the stack of various assignments and worksheets she had never turned in. Before she could feel too bad about it, a hand clamped down on her shoulder.

She jumped and-without thinking-grabbed the person's hand and twisted it around as she ducked under their arm, resulting in them being pressed against the locker roughly.

"Iz, what the hell?" Mason exclaimed. She immediately snapped out of it and released her friend, putting her hands over her mouth.

"Oh, my god, Mason," she breathed out. "I'm sorry, you just caught me off guard."

"I can see that," he rubbed his wrist. "My mistake."

"Are you okay?" she frowned sheepishly, slamming her locker shut.

"I'm good," he said, giving her an odd look. "Where'd you learn to do that stuff? Are you some sort of...ninja?"

Isabelle laughed, shaking her head. She felt a slight pang in her chest as she was reminded of Aiden, who always used to refer to Oni as demonic ninjas.

"No," she finally answered. "I'm not. My dad's a security consultant and he's always been big on us being able to protect ourselves."

"Us?" Mason's eyebrows rose with interest. "You have siblings?"

Isabelle froze.

"No," she cleared her throat, desperately wanting to change the subject. "What's up with you?"

"Um..." he gave her a questioning look, but she ignored it. "Nothing much. I was going to see if you were going to the bonfire tonight."

"Oh," Isabelle frowned. She had forgotten all about the annual start of the season bonfire that the lacrosse team put on. It wasn't exactly something that sounded fun to her, but she knew a lot of her friends were going to be there, so she figured she'd watch over them.

"I suppose I'll go."

"Really?" he seemed surprised. "That's awesome! We're going to find us some nice boyfriends."

"Huh?" Isabelle exclaimed, widening her eyes. "I don't want one, thanks."

"Do you already have one?" Mason asked, raising an eyebrow. She shook her head quickly, and he grinned. "Excellent."

"What are you-" Isabelle started, shaking her head at the boy. He interupted her when he caught sight of his other friend trudging down the hallway.

"Liam!" he called out, waving the boy over. Isabelle jumped a little, still not used to being around cheery people who yelled for fun.

"Hey," Liam muttered quietly, walking over to them. He looked like a scared little kid at his first day of school. Isabelle frowned at him, while Mason gave him a weird look.

"You going to the bonfire tonight?" Mason asked. Liam glanced around the hallway, and Mason looked at Isabelle in confusion, as if she knew what his problem was.

"I'm thinking about skipping it," Liam suddenly turned his attention back to them.

"You're not skipping." Mason shook his head.

"Why not?" Liam frowned.

"Because you're on the lacrosse team," Mason shrugged. "Don't you have to go?"