Chapter 5

Benita POV

I couldn’t stop smiling. I couldn’t tug my mouth back into a frown. I enjoyed my time with Adam the previous day. We parted when my lecturer entered the hall.

As I was admiring him leaving, I discovered we didn’t exchange digit. What a shame! God’s willing, our path will cross again.

Adam will actually be the first guy I had ever noticed. I detested all men after Uncle Ken’s scenario. I turned all the guys that have ever asked me out down. 

There is something about Adam that makes my heart flutters.

Just then, Mary entered the room. She came to spend the night in my place.

“You look happy” she commented.

“Have I ever looked sad before?” I asked.

“Okay then, you look exceptionally happy. Is it about a guy” Mary persisted.

She got me sha!

I never hide anything from Mary aside the rape scene and my distorted family issues, so I told her everything about Adam.

“You know, I’m not the type of girl that guys really fancy to go out with. I’m not even sexy or attractive and I’m no fun.

I’m plain and boring with no charm at all. So it’s still a surprise to me that anybody can fancy me, especially a guy like Adam. The guy is so cute, tall, dark and handsome” I said.

“Don’t even go there, Benny. You are the prettiest being on earth with a good sense of humour and there is nothing as boring with you. Well I know what I suffered when I befriended you in year one. I had to break you out of your shell by fire by force.” Mary said.

“Adam saw something great in you and once you both get to know each other better, the rest will be history” Mary giggled.

“I can’t thank you enough for your support, Mary. It means the world to me.”

“Can we go out to celebrate friendship day then? It’s boring in here and today is a Saturday for Christ’s sake. You gotta go out more” Mary shouted.

I trust Mary, the ever outgoing extrovert.

“Okay, let’s go out” I replied.

“Yay! My friend wants to socialize today. Adam, wherever you are, thank you for making my friend happy.”
Mary can be so dramatic, right?

*******

Remember those walls I built

Well, baby, they’re tumbling down

And they didn’t even put up a fight

They didn’t even make a sound

I sit up as my phone was ringing, Hello by Beyonce. I ran to the bedroom picking my phone to see an unknown number.

“Hello” I answered as I wait for a response.
“Hi, I’m calling from Cokers Industry. I want to remind you that you have an interview with our manager tomorrow for the secretary job offer” I heard a man’s voice.

What the hell!

Why can’t some people confirm who they want to talk to before blabbing their mouth.

‘It’s a wrong number, please. Bye.” I answered rudely. As I was about to end the call and go back and resume my movie, I heard the man laughing.