Chapter 9

I heard church bells ringingI heard a choir singingI saw my love walk down the aisleOn her finger he placed a ring

I heard a choir singing
I saw my love walk down the aisle
On her finger he placed a ring

Oh, I saw them holding hands
She was standing there with my man
I heard them promise "Till death do us part"
Each word was a pain in my heart

All I could do, all I could do was cry (cry, cry, cry)
All I could do was cry (cry, cry, cry)
I was losing the man that I loved
And all I could do was cry (cry, cry, cry)

~Etta James

One year later

Benita's POV

''Today, I take my place as your husband. May our days be long, and may they be seasoned with faith, love, understanding and respect forever and ever. Today is the beginning of the rest of our lives. I choose to spent today, and all of my tomorrow with you'' Adam recited his vows.

''I, Benita from this moment, take you Adam as my best friend for life. I pledge to honour, encourage and support you through our walk together. When our ways becomes difficult, I promise to stand by you and uplift you, so that through our union, we can accomplish more than we could alone. I will love you forever.'' Venita recited her vows.

They both kept smiling back at each other as though they will never have the chance to do it again.

I kept on looking at Adam, his captivating eyes and his thin firm lips...inviting to be kissed. The priest will soon tell them to kiss each other and I wish a miracle can happen and I will take my rightful place besides Adam.

I jolted, hearing Mrs Salome behind me talking to one of the guest about the lovely vows. Mrs Salome was my mum's best friend when she was alive and she really doted on me because I'm more like my mother. She believed she is here for Benita's wedding (Sic).

How I wish I'm absent in this wedding. Daddy really doted on me now since I'm 'Venita'. He pampers me so much and I'm so getting used to it. I guess this is the only benefit of the exchanged identity.

He called me everyday during the course of my service. He sent money to me frequently and he used his connection to help me get a good placement at a big organization in Abuja and I was retained thereafter.

Venita on the other hand did her service in Lagos and continued dating Adam.

Venita looked so beautiful in her wedding gown which fitted her perfectly.

The Cokers were squished together at the first row of seats in the church. My mother's elder sister was the bride's mother. Uncle Ben was sitter beside me but he was civil, since he doesn't know I'm Benita. My cousins from both parents sides, other uncles and aunts were present as well.