Chapter 2-Somner Visit

-Kaden-

Josie could've stepped down from her position as Eadlyn's lady-in-waiting after our engagement but she loves working with her so much that she didn't. So now I'm on a plane to Somner with dad to visit some schools while Josie is in Angeles working with Eadlyn.

I'm sitting across from dad with papers in my lap and on the table in front of me as I skim through information about school heads that we'll be meeting and the areas that we'll be visiting.

A flight attendant informs us that we're about to begin descent so I gather all the papers and buckle in my seatbelt. When we land I let dad get off ahead of me while I hand my files to the butler traveling with us and then hop off the plane too.

I'm blinded by the bright afternoon sun but after a second my eyes register the waiting cars, guards and Ahren!

"Ahren?" I call out in surprise.

"Hey." He turns away from dad.

If it weren't for the cameras recording our every move I would have hugged Ahren. I may have seen him at the wedding but I miss him every day.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"I have been thrown out of France on orders of the Queen to spend time with my father and brothers but apparently Osten isn't here." Ahren looks around.

I shake my head. "He had other obligations."

"Right, as if he's going to show up to those." Dad adds and Ahren and I laugh at this. Osten does manage to wriggle his way out of all official duties.

"How's Camille? Apart from the throwing you out for the father-sons bonding time thing." I ask as we start towards the waiting cars.

A smile spreads across Ahren's face at the mention of Camille's name. "She's great. Busy with duties now that her mother has stepped down from the throne."

"At least she doesn't have a full rebellion on her hands the way Eadlyn did at her time of accession." I say.

Ahren nods in agreement. "At least there's that."

The drive to the first school we are visiting is short and soon we're stepping out of the car, shaking hands with the school management and saying hello to the students who have come out to meet us. Of course, there are other people lining the street, hoping to get a look at us before we're escorted inside.

We spend time talking to teachers and listening to what aspects they think have improved and what areas of education they feel needs further work.

We arrive at the next school just as the bell rings for their lunch break so we abandon protocol and join the students in the cafeteria for casual chats. We all sit at different tables and children crowd around us, eager to get a word or two in.

"Do you like sword fights?" One child asks and I follow the voice to a barely six years old boy.

"Hello. What's your name?" I ask him, extending a hand.

"Kaden." He smiles sheepishly and I laugh at his expression, "Like me?"

He nods so I continue, "Well, Kaden, I don't know about sword fights but I do love duels with sabers. I've beaten Ahren almost every time."

Ahren overhears and quickly intervenes, "No he hasn't!"

"I said almost." I call back.

This has all the children in fits. Too soon their lunch break is over but we stay a little while longer to talk to the teachers and hear their thoughts on the latest education reforms.

We then visit two more schools. By the time we finish with the last school, the children have long gone home and it's getting dark. We end the trip with an early dinner with the Somner Representatives before heading back to the airport and flying home.

When we get back to the palace, it's nearly midnight. Dad heads off to his room while Ahren and I decide to head to the kitchens to get some tea before heading to our rooms. Almost all the household members have retired to their rooms by now except Eadlyn and Eikko, who we find in the kitchen.

"Ahren!" Eadlyn exclaims, running dangerously fast for her pregnant body as she hugs him. "When did you get here?"

"I flew out to Somner with dad and Kaden. I leave for Paris tomorrow morning after breakfast." Ahren explains and Eadlyn proceeds to complain about his short visit.

"Tea." I sigh in relief as I spot the kettle on the counter next to Eikko who pushes it towards me. I pour myself a cup as the other three catch up.