Chapter 8-Royal Dinner

-Josie-

Ahren is waiting for us on the front steps when we arrive at the French royal palace. Kaden gets out of the car first and then holds out a hand to Josie.

"How was your flight?" Ahren asks as we walk in and he leads us down a hallway.

"Exhausting." Kaden replies, mirroring my thoughts.

I could feel his tension throughout the flight and even while we were at the estate as he met with the servants but now in the company of his older brother the tension has vanished and he looks at ease.

"Josie! Kaden!" I hear Camille's voice as she walks up to us from the opposite end of the hallway.

"It's so good to see you, Camille." I say as we embrace. Our formalities with titles wore off years ago and she has become as much an older sister to me as Eadlyn.

"How was your flight?" She asks, linking her arm through Ahren's.

"I've already been graciously informed that it was exhausting." Ahren says, making Kaden roll his eyes.

I smack myself mentally for not asking sooner, "How's your mother, Camille? Will she be joining us for dinner?"

"She's quite well. In fact, she was very eager to meet you both but she had to leave for Toulouse on a commitment this morning. She intends on having you back at the palace for dinner with her." Camille tells us.

"We look forward to it." Kaden replies, politely.

"Can we please eat now, I'm starving from that budget meeting we had today." Ahren looks at Camille who playfully thwarts his arm but turns to us, "Shall we?"

She leads the way through the doors that we had been standing outside. There table is already set with four places. Ahren and Kaden are already absorbed in their own discussion as they sit down across the table from Camille and me.

"How has married life been?" Camille asks me once we've been served dinner.

"It didn't feel like much had changed since we both lived with our parents just like we had our entire life but now, the move to France will definitely make it feel more real." I sigh as Camille nods in understanding.

"I totally get that. In our whirlwind of a marriage, it didn't feel like it until we were back here from Illea." She tells me and I smile at the memories.

We continue our conversation and soon the boys join in. The talk turns towards our childhoods which have always been interlinked. We recall happy memories and laugh till our stomachs ache. The food is delicious, the chatter is entertaining and the company is family.

After dinner Camille and Ahren walk with us to the entrance of the palace where Kaden and Ahren step outside but Camille stops me.

"You have to let me know if there's anything you need. Promise?" She tilts her head to once as she looks me.

"You'll be the person I call, I promise." I smile at her as we embrace and say goodbye.