Chapter 10-Horses

-Josie-

Sunday is a breath of fresh air after a week full of lunches and parties with the ladies I have befriended. Vivienne is a constant presence at each of these but thankfully except for a rude comment about my hair once she mostly keeps to herself and her circle of friends.

Sunday is the one day of the week when Kaden is home with me an entire twenty four hours.

"Morning." Kaden says looking up from the newspaper when I walk into the dining room.

"Good morning." I reply as I sit down at my seat to his right side.

"What is the torture plan for today?" He says, leaning back in sit but his eyes stay on me.

I roll my eyes knowing very well that he's referring to last Sunday when I made him go to the city with me to look at some day dresses at a new boutique that just opened.

"I am thinking of going riding." I announce and he perks at the mention of riding. Where Kaden loves diplomacy and I love dresses, riding is the one thing we both love and have always bonded over.

As I butter my toast, I drawl, "But since you are prepared for something torturous..."

I look up from my toast just as Kaden's lips find mine. I press a hand to his cheek when he pulls away and kisses my forehead. "How about a picnic lunch after we come back from riding?"

"Deal." I nod, breathing heavily from the unexpected kiss.

Kaden informs a butler of our plan and asks him to have our horses prepared and to fetch our riding shoes while I have breakfast. After breakfast we switch our shoes for the riding ones and then head out to the stables.

"Hello Heather." I coo when I see my horse being led out of the stables. Heather nuzzles my shoulder as Kaden pats his horse, Soot named so because he's entirely black. Kaden had Soot sent to France too when he sent over Heather.

I swing myself into my saddle and wait for Kaden to do the same. Kaden takes the lead as we trot through the back of the estate until we reach the fields. There are dirt paths amongst them that I have dreamed of riding on ever since I found out about Heather.

"Race you to the end of the field?" Kaden looks over his shoulder at me and before I can respond he gallops off.

"You cheat!" I exclaim as I begin chasing him.

Kaden of course wins and playfully attributes his win to his excellent riding skills which sends me into a fit of laughter. We ride through the fields for nearly an hour until we decide that we've ventured far enough and we should head back.

We're turning around when we hear the clip clop of more hooves coming from the dirt path on our right. I'm shocked to see Vivienne on a horse with a man on another horse.

"Count Clement." Kaden nods in greeting and I realize from the name that the man is Vivienne's husband.

"Prince Kaden." The man nods back, respectfully.

"Hello Vivienne." I greet the other girl who looks at me in disdain before muttering a hello back.

"I didn't know you rode, Prince Kaden." Count Clement comments.

"It's just a pastime I picked up over the years with Josie." Kaden says and then smiles at me.

"Ah! I wish Vivienne liked riding more. She barely tolerates it for my sake." The count tells us.

"Riding is not for ladies." Vivienne huffs.

"But you're competing in The Royal riding championship, are you not?" Her husband asks, looking at her but she just flips her hair in response.

"The Royal riding championship. Ah! I completely forgot to tell you." Kaden looks at me.

"Tell me what?" I ask him.

"Lady Daphne extended a personal invitation to you to participate in the championship, I forgot to mention it to you." Kaden tells me.

Count Clement jumps in, "Lady Josie, you should definitely participate! Vivienne can help you out in any way."

I look from him to Kaden before saying, "I'll think about the invitation and pass on a reply through Kaden. Thank you for the kind offer, Count Clement. I will let Vivienne know if I need her help."

We say goodbye to the couple and then head back towards home.

"So things haven't gotten better with her?" Kaden asks on the way.

"She appears to not like me because I've befriended her friends. Not very welcoming towards an outsider." I reply, looking out at the field in front of me.

"That's so strange. Count Clement is as welcoming as one can be." Kaden frowns.

I can sense his worry about Vivienne's attitude toward me. I stop Heather, forcing Soot to stop too. I lean across in my saddle and kiss his cheek, "I'm okay. I've met so many amazing ladies. So what if one's too big of a snob?"

Anyone else would have choked at the unladylike word but Kaden is used to my remarks and instead bursts out laughing. We ride back to the estate in high spirits.

Kaden's butler, John is waiting for us by the stables. Kaden hops off first and hands over Soot to the stable help before holding out a hand to help me get off Heather. As I pet Heather and hand her over for brushing, Kaden asks John,

"So what's for lunch?"

"Steak and fries are ready to be served in the lawn, Your Highness." John announces.

This is one of my favorite chapters I've written so far :)