chapter 10

Tris's POV

    I wake up to the apartment door opening.  I grab my gun on the nightstand and hold it up, slowly walking towards the door.  Then I see that it is Tobias and quickly put the gun down.  "Gosh, Tobias.  You know you really shouldn't be sneaking out anymore."

    He smiles.  "How can I when you tell me when your birthday is the day before you turn seventeen?  Happy Birthday, my love."  He holds my face to his and kisses me like he has never kissed anyone before.

    "Actually, today I am eighteen, which means yesterday you turned twenty.  I didn't say anything last year because everything was happening too fast.  But don't worry about nobody knowing that today is my birthday.  Caleb will tell everyone."  I explain to him.  "So....  How did it go with Uriah?"

    He looks at me.  "You know, you can be very sneaky when you choose to be.  I will never forget the saddened look on his face when I told him."  He looks so sad I can't bear to see him like this.

    I grab his hand and lead him to the couch.  We sit there and I trace his veins on his hand with my finger and say,"I'm so sorry I had to do it this way.  He just had to be told.  And what better way to tell him than you telling him yourself!  Now that you've done that, you have absolutely NO secrets."

    He smiles.  "Well, if I remember right, my secrecy is how you found me physically attractive to you."  Right after that there is a knock on the door.  I get up to answer it and I find Uriah standing in front of me. 

   "Hi Tris.  Happy eighteenth birthday!"  He hands me a gift and I motion for him to come in.  He accepts and we walk into Tobias's and my kitchen.  I don't see Tobias anywhere so I figure that he slipped out while Uriah was talking to me.  We sit down at the table and Uriah says,"I need to talk with you about something."

    I reply,"Sure, anything!"

    He shifts in his chair.  "Four told me about...how I was put in a coma because of his stupidity.  Anyway, could...you perhaps tell me the whole story...?"

    "Well, it all started when he and I did some tests to see if we really are divergent and not just one of those people who are aware during simulations.  After the tests he found out why his divergence didn't stand out like mine did...."

    "So he's not Divergent?"

    "Right.  He got a little upset when he found out.  This girl Nita who was also like him, recruited him for a rebellion against David and his co-workers.  Well, Nita didn't tell him all the details.  She was actually using him to create a diversion so she could steal something very valuable to the facility and keep it all to herself.  That explosion you were in was the diversion.  Four has carried his guilt around with him ever since.  Whatever you do now, Uriah, is totally up to you.  But, Four needs your forgiveness.  Please keep that in mind when you make your decision."

    He stands up, hugs me and says,"I hope you like your gift, Tris.  But I'm gonna have to think about this one."  He leaves our apartment and Tobias is back.  He looks at me curiously and I tell him about the conversation.  Then, we head to bed.  The next day I am sick to my stomach.