Chapter 11

"Sonic, would you please just calm down".

Rouge the bat was getting annoyed at the blue hedgehog's excessive pacing. It has been two days and not a word from Amy. He wondered if Eggman had gotten to her while Shadow took her away. For the fifth time in the past minute, he facepalmed himself.

How could he let Shadow take off with the love of his life? What kind of person was he becoming? Every time tried to convey how much he loved Amy, he lost his words and got frustrated, taking his anger out on his allies.

Definitely not a part of his master plan.

Nobody else saw what Sonic saw in Shadow. He was too secretive to be truthful; he was hiding much more than he would ever let on. Sonic planned to bring Shadow to the light. If he could draw him out enough, eventually, he would disappear.

Sonic groaned. "I'm sorry, guys. I just don't know what to do. Amy's gone and we have no idea where to even look."

Rouge avoided eye contact. "Yeah, I mean nobody else knows where Shadow's old hideout is. That's probably where he went."

Knuckles tilted his head. "Shadow has a hideout?"

Rouge scoffed. "Of course he does. Everybody has a secret hideout."

Tails leaned on the counter behind him. "And you know where this hideout is?"

"Of course-" Rouge started, causing everyone to turn to look at her. She cleared her throat. "-not."

Blaze crossed her arms. "That was convincing," she stated sarcastically.

Rouge backed away, hands raised in the air. "Listen guys, I want to find her as much as the rest of you, but I can't give that information."

Sonic slammed his hand on his dining room table, causing everyone to jump. Rouge didn't flinch. "Rouge, don't you understand that Amy could be in danger right now?! She could be dead! And you can't just give us his location?"

"No," Rouge said sharply. "Shadow lives in a dangerous place. Unless you are touching him, you have a very small chance of surviving."

Sonic sighed in frustration and walked off, coming his hands through his quills. "Screw us right now! What about our friend? She needs us right now!"

"Listen Sonic, I know how much you want to help her, but getting the rest of your team killed would defeat the purpose of the rescue."

Knuckles giggled at the comment. Sonic flares at him. How could he be joking at a time like this?

Silver stepped up. "Why can't we use chaos control? We could skip the danger."

Rouge shook her head. "If only it were that easy." She took a piece of paper from Sonic's supply cabinet and drew a map of the mountains. "If you enter through the north, you end up in a forest."

"That doesn't sound so bad," Tails said.

"But it's enchanted," she continued. "People who go in don't find a way out. Unless you can fly above and over the mist. Trying to teleport your way through it is useless. The barrier will stop you and you'll end up right in the middle."

Blaze cracked her knuckles. "I could just burn the forest. We could walk right through."

Rouge tapped her fingers on the table. "I've already tried that. The fire doesn't spread and eventually burns out."

Rouge drew a red x over the northern entrance. "Coming from the south west isn't smart either. A bridge conjoins the hideout with the mainland. Crossing would cause it to fall instantly."

Rouge cleared her throat. "We could go for an air entry, but I don't have the strength to carry all of you and protect you as well."

Knuckles pointed to a spot on the map. "What about the west? It's an open valley." Rouge stared at the map, considering it.

"That would be the easiest way, and the quickest." She cleared her throat and tapped her chin. Sonic crossed his arms.

"But?" He asked impatiently.

"But," Rouge continued, "it's heavily fortified with traps. Plus, Shadow probably expects visitors from there. He might await your arrival."

Sonic smirked wickedly. "I hope he sees me coming." He pointed at himself cockily, earning everyone's attention. "Don't you all know I'm the fastest thing alive? I can just run through, grab her, and run back out."

Rouge shot up angrily. "I've got some news for you, Sonic." She counted off her fingers. "Firstly, Shadow probably set up the traps to spare himself the annoyance of dealing with you. And secondly, unless you can faze through a wall, you aren't going anywhere."

Sonic headed for the door. "My speed can create a strong enough vibration for me to pass through anything. Piece of cake. And, nobody on the team will be hurt, because I'm going by myself."

The last thing Sonic heard was the angry screams of his teammates' disapproval and the sound of his heart beating. Beating for his Amy.

He was going to get her back.

At whatever cost.